• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Vancouver Fishing

Started by Bigun, June 20, 2010, 09:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigun

The wife and I are thinking of a trip up to Vancouver later in the summer (end of July/Aug.) We have access to timeshares at Ucluelet, Nanoose Bay, and Sooke. I was looking for some input as to the different areas, as well as some recomendations for fishing charters hopefully some that are more resonable priced than the ones I'am finding online. Thanks for the help.

StickyDan

Where you comin from?  You picked a great time of year to come out as the weather is usually really nice.  Don't know much about the places your talking about but I would think that Ucluelet would be a good bet as it's on the West side of the Island.  Don't know much about the charters either, but I do know that most people come home with more than enough fish to justify the steep cost.  Hope you have a great trip!

Bigun

Thanks Dan, We are in Sacramento

StickyDan

Will you be staying in Vancouver at all or just the Island?  Have you ever been here before?

Bigun

I'am guessing on the island the entire week. My father and I went up there about ten years ago to the far Northwest point of the island I believe it was called Holliday harbour. Caught a ton of fish but it was pretty much ironman fishing nothing less than 16 hours a day for 7 days. Needed a vacation to recover from that vacation.  The wife and I this trip, get away for our anniversary thinking 3 or 4 days fishing and a few days relaxing in sub 100* temp

TestRocket

Sounds like a good anniversary trip to me!

StickyDan

The island is nice.  Very laid back and very picturesque. Happy Anniversary!

Quarlow

As an ex commercial fisherman I would myself go to Ucluelet. I really like the place plus the fishing was very good on the Big Bank. Not sure of the name of the charter my buddy went on there but he had a great time with as much fish as he could bring back. I think he was on the Nootka Princess charter. I will ask him tonight and add it to this. If you happen to be there when they have their Ukey days festival it is a hoot. Of course I was 18 and had been out on a leaky boat for 3 months so watching some of the drunken hippies was a great source of entertainment.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

tsquared

Bigun--Ucluelet is your best bet for fish--it will be more consistent than Sooke (which is where I fish most of the time). A word of caution though:Ucluelet is on the open ocean (big waves), so the night before you go out, lay off the grog and in the morning take an anti motion sickness pill 1/2 hour before you get on the charterboat. Trust me--you will have a much more enjoyable day. They are catching plenty of good sized king salmon and halibut right now off Ucluelet and August is usually even better--you'll have a ball! As Quarlow says, the Princess boats are usually somewhat cheaper than other charters as they take more people on board.Keep me posted and I hope you have a good time on our island!
T2

Quarlow

Just talked to My buddy and he says The "West Coast fish Charters" is abit more expensive but it is just you 2 on the boat with the guide. Or you can go with "Canadian Princess fish Charters" which cost $120 per person and you go out on the 53 footer's "Pacific Princess" or "Nootka Princess" with a bunch of other people which he said was a blast. I think there is one more boat also.  Canadian Princess also has accommodations on the ex coastal ferry "Canadian Princess" which is now a floating hotel, and it is beautiful inside. I stumbled on to it when I was somewhat inebriated when we were in town for supplies once and it was just awesome inside it. There are other places to charter from but hopefully that will get you started.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

RossP

Here you go Bigun, this is the place Q is talking about. The wife and myself are looking at going over there this year ourselves.

http://www.canadianprincess.com/

Drop them a line. I hear they do a good job.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Quarlow

Two night fishing package – from $239 pp
Get into the derby action.  Stay and fish with the Canadian Princess for an unbeatable price.

Your fishing package includes:

•Two nights ship accommodation
•Two 7-hour fishing trips

That is a pretty good deal.

OBS
BBQ

tsquared

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14712&whichpage=19

Here's what they are catching in the Sooke/Victoria area lately Bigun.244 lb halibut.They even named it after you! :D
T2

Quarlow

Holy carp....I mean Holy Halibut. But you know I would rather have the chickens. Leave the big guys for reproduction. What are the regs on them now, do you have to leave the small ones? I never was much of a trophy hunter. I would sooner have 2-30lb'rs than them BIGUN's.

OBS
BBQ

Caneyscud

Holy Sea Cow - Batman! 

And I though my 106 pounder was big after I caught it!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"