• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Meat Thermometer

Started by oakville smoker, June 21, 2010, 05:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

I am not having good luck with meat thermometers these days
I cannot seem to get more than a year out of these things
As luck would have it, my digital wireless meat thermo died as I was trying to finish 2 pork butts on Saturday afternoon for  a BBQ we were going to
I had to guess that the IT was just about right, did the TLC thing and fortunately all came out perfect

Now  I need to buy a new thermometer.  Any recommendations?  I did look at the Auber site and I see lots of smoker controllers but not any
meat thermometers.  I am happy with my DBS and the way it controls its own temps.  I can hold the temp I want within a couple of degrees for hours
on end.

I am guessing I have to step up the quality scale now and get something good.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Wildcat

This is my favorite place for temp instruments: http://www.thermoworks.com/

I also like the Maverick.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

squirtthecat

Quote from: Wildcat on June 21, 2010, 05:09:46 AM
This is my favorite place for temp instruments: http://www.thermoworks.com/

I also like the Maverick.

Ditto.  I have 2 Mavericks (ET-73 and the older single probe generation of the same) and a Thermapen.

I also have a CDN (I think... got it at a restaurant supply store) dial probe thermometer that I just stick in the odd hunk of meat when I run out of probes.

TestRocket

I'll third that too!

Caneyscud

I've got 4 or 5, but haven't used one in over a year except the Thermapen.  Know thy smoker!  BBQ'ers Theory of Relativity - Iff'n you've noticed that the last 10 smokes while your remote thermometer is saying 225 but the door thermometer or the digital readout is reading 210, it's quite possible that the "correct" cabinet temperature is when the door thermometer or the digitial readout is reading 210. 

Just saying!  It might not be "fool-proof" but then neither are all the thermometers in the world or that batteries that power them, etc....  And then again, the meat is pretty forgiving also - that is, butts, briskets, clods, ribs, chuckies, etc.....  Temps say from 190 to 250 do well.  Lower takes longer, higher takes shorter (but not too short) 

If I'm using my DBS, I'll set at 220 and let it go.  Or if in one of the stickburners - build the fire for 215 (in the Bandera), or 200 in the -- well R.I.P. and let it go.  Estimate completion time and start testing with the Thermapen sometime before (1 or 2 hours) the estimated completion time. 

Just another way of doing it to think about. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Wildcat

Oakville Smoker - Here is a link to what I have: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html

It does an excellent job in many applications. I use it to check meat temps just like the pen does, but this baby can accept a wide variety of probes. I have one probe that is high temp and can monitor internal meat temp without ever opening the smoker or my house oven - even at very high temps. This along with the Maverick gives me a very good idea of true temp so that it is not under or over cooked.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

oakville smoker

Thanks much all
I had forgotten about the Maverick
Now I just have to find a place to buy them in Canada ( Toronto area )
I see the ET 73 is out of stock on their web site so I might have to move up a model but would like that functionality
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

oakville smoker

Well I just found an ET 73 here in Canada
59.99 at Ontario Gas BBQ which is of course list price
If I order it in from the US, I will most likely get nailed with duty, brokerage, god knows how much shipping and lose any price advantage
I have to almost drive by the place on Saturday on the way to somewhere else so I will stop in and pick one up
It wont help with the 2 chickens I have  to smoke for a BBQ dinner I have to take to my daughters, but I will manage.