• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

how to get juicy sausage ?

Started by love the smoke, June 23, 2010, 06:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love the smoke

So what is the trick to getting juicy sausage, the stuff that I have made seems to always come out dry, The stuff I buy from HY-Vee,(I know shame on me) is just really juicy the stuff squirts out when you cut it, mine gives a burp of dust when you cut it  :o ok maybe not quite that bad but not nearly as juicy as the purchased stuff.

I have tried the high mountain packs and also a few homemade hot dog recipes same results,
I think I am watching pretty close when I get to the end of the cook as not to get a fat out and seems like I am not getting that ?

So can anyone help me get the ole juices flowing ?

LTS

LTS

KevinG

Not sure what type of sausage you're doing, but a lot of issues of dryness are related to fat. 25% to 30% fat is needed for a comfortable level. If you are getting any dripping out of your sausage you are too hot, and you're fatting out. Temperature control is key, so if you're having issues look at your controller, you might need a PID if you don't have one, and if you do use another thermometer to double check it.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

lumpy

Juice= fat

Nuff said

Kevin has you covered

Lumpy

Habanero Smoker

As Kevin stated, I'm not sure what sausage recipe you are using. In addition to fat, additional water may improve your moistness. You can add up to 10% of the green weight, but more commonly 5% is used. Using the 5% that would be 1/2 cup (4 ounces) of water for 5 pounds of meat/fat. The added water will cook out before the bounded water in the cells is effected, therefore you will have a moister end product.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

LTS,
When making Brat style sausages I add 1 can of beer for every 5 lbs of meat. 5 cans for a 25 pound batch is the norm.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

watchdog56

Thats alot of good beer going to the dogs sort of speaking.

NePaSmoKer

KevinG

Just thought of another idea from another post that was made. Soy protein concentrate or non fat dry milk may also help with moisture retention.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG