What to do with bottom round roast

Started by EZ Smoker, June 24, 2010, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ Smoker

My local Albertsons is running a buy-one-get-one-free sale on choice bottom round roast.    What can ya make out of that?     
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

FLBentRider

You could make this:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11005.0

or you could make jerky nuggets, or a host of other things.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TestRocket

Something good I would bet. I've only really done chicken and ribs so I'm new to this principal of you can smoke anything! So I'll watch and see what others suggest.

Tenpoint5

could always slice it and make jerky out of it as well
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

Pot roast comes to mind. Whatever you decide, low and slow is the key to that piece of meat. Keep it moist too.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

EZ Smoker

Excellent.  Thank you for the help.   Question:  Is a bottom round roast tender enough that I could cook it to a lower IT in the medium rare range?  or would I need to take it higher?

Also, I've been wanting to try to make jerky (or jerky nuggets), and I've been reading up about the curing process to get prepared.   So if I buy one and get one free, I'll try jerky with one, and cook the other as a roast for slicing. 

Thanks again,

Scott
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

Tenpoint5

Yes you can go M/R and slice into roastbeef sammies
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Only my opinion.  I'm not a fan of bottom round.  It's the least cost, least flavorful and least tender of the rounds off the hind leg.  I've heard it said that it's not worth buying, regardless of the price.

Working up the leg, top round is really pretty good.  Any higher into the hip/back and you have sirloin roast, really good.

I've never done jerky at all, let alone with bottom round.

If you're gonna go MR, I'd slice it REAL thin.  The RB you get at the deli is likely sirloin roast.

But, a good part of the fun is experimenting.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

EZ Smoker

Finally following up on this thread:  With 2 bottom round roasts, I decided to freeze one for later use, hopefully for jerky/nuggets if I ever learn how to do that.   As for the other one, I dusted it with salt and pepper, and threw it in the smoker with 3 hours of pecan to in IT of 138 or so, then let it cool and sliced it for sandwiches.   Then I froze two bags of the sandwich meat, and left another one in the fridge to be eaten over the next couple of days.

The meat itself was tender enough, and a nice bright pink color, but the flavor seemed bland, like I needed to add salt.   I did start adding salt to the sliced sandwich meat, and it was pretty good at that point.   

Next time I would use hickory to get a stronger smoke flavor.  I'm wondering if I had let it sit in the fridge overnight with the salt and pepper, would that have helped the flavor?  Or maybe if I had rubbed more salt into it when applying the salt?   Just a thought.