• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

powdered dextrose?

Started by watchdog56, June 24, 2010, 04:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I was thinking about making Greggs spicy sticks and I see it calls for powdered dextrose.Can I use soy protein concentrate instead?

KevinG

No Dextrose is a sweetener, you can get by with maple sugar, carmelized sugar, or plain sugar if in a real bind. Soy protein concentrate is a protein, it's used to help bind the meat together and retain the natural juices in the meat, non fat dry milk can be used as a substitute for that.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: KevinG on June 24, 2010, 05:58:40 PM
No Dextrose is a sweetener, you can get by with maple sugar, carmelized sugar, or plain sugar if in a real bind. Soy protein concentrate is a protein, it's used to help bind the meat together and retain the natural juices in the meat, non fat dry milk can be used as a substitute for that.

Kevin is right. You can substitute cane sugar for powdered dextrose but only use about 75% as much as cane sugar is sweeter.
HawkeyeSmokes

watchdog56

So is powdered dextrose the same as powdered sugar?

KevinG

Powdered sugar is the same as confectioners sugar which is regular sugar ground into a fine powder it is a combination of glucose and fructose and has an enzyme called invertase. These are typically a beet or cane sugar. Dextrose is a glucose from starch and is usually made from rice, corn, or potatoes.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

BuyLowSellHigh

No.

KevinG is right.  Some clarifying points ... dextrose is another name for glucose, one of the two common building blocks of higher sugars.  The other one is fructose (common in fruits).  Combine one molecule of each to make a new molecule and you get sucrose which is the common table sugar you are used to.  Powdered or confectioners sugar is simply sucrose that has been ground to a fine powder (10X being the finest grade)  along with some cornstarch to prevent caking.

There area many, many different sugars.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

watchdog56