HELP!!

Started by hilldave, June 26, 2010, 04:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hilldave

We are completely new to smoking and have not had much success.  The first time we put about 4 pucks in the smoker and smoked some ribs and pork loin for several hours.  The pucks smelled like the worst type of charred wood, and the meat didn't taste much better.  We called the store back and they told us, "Sorry, we should have told you to soak the pucks in water for 24 hours".  So, today, we put 6 pucks in water, and they are now a pile of mush.  We have no idea what we're doing wrong so any suggestions would be greately appreciated.
Dave

classicrockgriller

hilldave, your store needs to be horse whipped for telling you that.

What type of pucks are you smoking with?

What kinda Bradley are you smoking on?

Welcome to the forum!

hilldave

Thanks so much for the quick response.  We are using Bradley flavour bisquettes and our Smoker is a Bradley electric.
Dave

TestRocket

Hello Dave and welcome to the forum,

If right now your still struggling with this (7:52 PM CST) PM me with your phone number and I'll call you and see if we can work through this. There are many on here with more experience but if I can help I'm willing to!

KevinG

Wow, I don't know who told you to soak the bisquettes in water, but NEVER do that. As far as the bad smell, are you smelling the burnt ones or does it smell bad while it's cooking? Did you condition it before you put your food in?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Quote from: hilldave on June 26, 2010, 05:04:01 PM
Thanks so much for the quick response.  We are using Bradley flavour bisquettes and our Smoker is a Bradley electric.
Dave

4 pucks = 1hr and 20 minutes of smoke.

It almost sounds like you didn't open your vent at the top.

What flavor of wood did you use?

Do you have bubba pucks to push the last used puck off the burner?

If you did not push the last puck off the burner after 20 minutes, you will get "some"

charred wood flavor.

Tell us what happened from the start.

We want to help.

hilldave

We think we're smelling the burnt pucks and they definately smell while they're cooking.  We did condition the smoker before we used it.
  thanks,
Dave

classicrockgriller

Quote from: hilldave on June 26, 2010, 07:30:58 PM
  We think we're smelling the burnt pucks and they definately smell while they're cooking.  We did condition the smoker before we used it.
  thanks,
Dave

Ok again what pucks are you using.

Maybe the time cycle is off.

Each puck should only burn 20 minutes.

hilldave

We are using the Bradley flavour bisquettes - small round pucks that drop into the tube.   They burned for about 20 minutes each, then dropped into the water tray.  They smelled quite bad when they were burning.

classicrockgriller

OK, what flavor?

Mesquite, Hickory, Pecan, ???

Did you have your vent closed? while your smoking?

hilldave

Sorry....apple.  We're giving it another try today.  We've opened the vent more and are hopeful this time will be more successful.  Thanks to all who responded.  We'll let you know how it goes today.
Thanks,
Dave

classicrockgriller

open it ALL the way.