Wet Brine vs Dry Cure?

Started by Remington, June 09, 2005, 04:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jaeger</i>
<br />John,
With the commercial tumbler, after 2 hours, the bellies are cured through and ready for the smoker. With a dry cure or a brine (soak) you are looking at 7 days to cure.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

When you say "Commercial tumbler" are you refering to a REVO?

jaeger

Phone Guy,
I have not tried bellies in the Reveo.
The commercial tumbler that I referred to will hold 100 pounds of meat.

I will be doing some cured items in the reveo soon and will post pictures,amounts,times etc...

MallardWacker

I did see a commercial tumbler on "food finds", the guy dried cured his hams them placed them in the tumbler with maple syrup.  Dang I was drool'n bad.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Remington

The Bacon Turned out great. I cured both wet and dry for 6 days. The wet brine was more salty than the dry and could have used a 3rd soak. Here's a picture of the final product. Thanks for all of your help and I'll be making more in the future.

Remington

http://www.hunt101.com/img/298418-big.jpg

Remington

Had to retry posting the picture

Remington

jaeger

Looks great Remington!!!

Phone Guy

My problem is I can buy good bacon for less then the cost of a pork belly.[:(]

Chez Bubba

I haven't done it personally but I will, but from what I've read here, we're not talking about "good" bacon, we're talking about "GREAT" bacon.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />I haven't done it personally but I will, but from what I've read here, we're not talking about "good" bacon, we're talking about "GREAT" bacon.

Kirk
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ditto to Kirk/CB.  Phoneguy - I have certainly walked past the bacon in Safeway and said "what the heck have I got those bellies curing for?  Here it is for $5."  Sometimes you make great economic sense on home processing, and sometimes it makes no sense at all.

However, you know that sense of accomplishment and pride, when you get compliments on your Q?  Well for me that doubles on bacon.

Having people in on weekends and treating them to real smoked bacon, not liquid or artificial flavoured.  The smell wafting up from the frying pan on the camp stove, giving out samples.  Being able to say - "Hey, I'm bringing the bacon for the hunting trip".  Well all of those situations bring me an extra smile and make all the work seem trivial.

Love the Bacon[:p]

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Remington

I paid $1.99 a pound for the belly. I saw cheap bacon for $3.79 a pound, good was over $5. I would say this bacon was better than most in the store and can still be improved upon. Plus as whitetail said there is the pride factor. Some how I feel no pride in buying $5 a pound bacon.

Remington

Phone Guy

Don't get me wrong, there is no store bacon better then something homemade. I was just stating that for some reason raw bellies are more expensive then bacon you can buy sometimes. I guess bulk is the key. If I had a good source for bellies I would use them. Here I would have to order a case. Too many bellies at a time for me. I use shoulder meat and have been pleased.

whitetailfan

phonedude,
We're not critisizing at all, like I said, sometimes it makes no sense to do it yourself economically.  All I'm saying is that the extra work that goes into doing it yourself makes me proud of it.  Some of my family has eaten it and I get a "ya its good..." - that's it.  I get a lot more compiments out of other barbecue, but its a personal high to cook up my own bacon.  Nothing saying you cant make it out of shoulder.  Mallard only uses loins.  I'm talking cured product in general.  Good for you for making shoulder bacon.

I just cooked up a batch of regular belly home made this morning, and dang ol dang ol it was good[:p]

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

JJC

Hey Rem,

Thanks for posting that pic . . . it's 6:30AM here and now I have to wipe a combo of coffee and drool off my shirt, neck collar, and keyboard.  Not to mention the fact that I now have to make some bacon and eggs, knowing that it won't be as good as yours . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Phone Guy

That is some good looking bacon!!!

MallardWacker

Darn, that pic gives me the hots.  LOOKS GREAT!  I hate it when I salivate all over myself, especially when I'm at the office.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...