• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

needs some advise from old hands!!

Started by hktkct, July 01, 2010, 05:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hktkct

This is only my second time at smoking, my first try was an 8 lb. butt, it turned out excellent I'm going to do two butts, one a little over 8 lbs the other 10+ lbs and a small loin maybe 2 lbs, I want to smoke for 3-4 hrs at 225F.  We want to eat around noon on Sat.,, with your experience could you give me an estimate at when I should start. I do have pics of first try, they are nice but I can't figure out how to post them, but I will later..thank you

GusRobin

I would plan at least 2 hrs per pound plus a couple of hours for insurance. You can always FTC if it is done early. Better to be early than having a bunch of starving folks giving you dirty looks.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

I would start the butts no later than 1800 on Friday.

The Loin may be cooked before the smoke is over.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

I'm with FLBR here.  Boneless loins usually cook quickly.  Put in a probe and keep a close eye on it.

Butts seem to be all over the place; 2 to 2.5 hours per pound and many times longer depending on the pig.  I'd do it a day ahead.  Pull it and fridge it.  Add some sauce and reheat it when you want it.  It's better the next day anyway.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

I kinda think you need to start before 6 in the evening.

If you finish early the butts can stay on FTC 4 to 6 hrs.

hktkct

Thanks for all the help, if anyone has some more advise I will gladly take it,,I'm a nervous wreck LOL

BuyLowSellHigh

I'm with CRG.  Start the butts early the day gefore.  With 18 lbs in that smoker it could easily take 20 hrs to get 'em done at 225.  They will hold well in FTC, or you can use the Bradley as a warming oven at 150 °F to hold 'em, wrapped in foil.  The pork loin will go pretty fast by comparison - I like 140 °F as a target IT for pork loin, especially with a smaller one.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

classicrockgriller

If it were me, I take the butts out of fridge at 1:00

If they are not seasoned do that then. And load vtray, water bowl.

At 2, I would preheat cabinet to at least 250* and turn on the smoke generator.

At 3 I would load the butts starting with the second shelf from bottom, bigger butt on bottom. Start your smoke time.

When you cabinet temp comes back up to your desire cooking temp (225*) then start turning down the temp control.

If it takes 16 hrs, you will be done by 7.

18 hrs, by 9

Caneyscud

I like CRG's plan, just not his math.  20 hours would be 11:00.  It's gonna take awhile to get the temp back up to cooking temp with the addition of 18+ pounds of meat.  Could even take longer than 20 hours. so I would put the butts in closer to noon on Friday.  I'd rather have them babies sitting in a cooler rather than chewing my nails to the nub wondering if they are going to get done.  As already said, monitor the loin very closely.  Depending on where you put it in the cooker will depend on how fast it will be done.  With that much meat, the element will be on 100% of the time for quite a few hours.  So if the loin is in under the butts, it will be exposed to pretty constant radiant heat. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

Gotta go with Caney on this one.  I would put those babies on at noon the day before.  We've all had butts run 24 hours before.  If they get finished early, that's what the FTC is for.

hktkct

Thanks again for all the comments and advise,,every thing turned out good,,ready for a noon meal