• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need Door Thermometer?

Started by GusRobin, July 04, 2010, 08:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

I have a dual pid and a maverick 73. I never use the door thermometer. A couple of times it seems the probe gets in the way of the meat. Can't remove it because it will leave a big hole in the front of the door. I thought about cutting it off on the inside to about an 1/4 inch stubb (or large enough to screw in place.) Anyone else done this or see any problems?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DTAggie

I haven't done it but thought about it.  Can't see why it would be a problem.

Quarlow

I haven't done it either but what would be wrong with taking it out and putting a stainless bolt and nut in the hole. You wouldn't have to worry about smoke leaking and if the bolt sticks out abit just grind it down till it is flush with the nut.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

GusRobin

The thermometer is recessed into the door so the hole is larger than a small bolt.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

DTAggie

The actual hole through the door is only as wide as the thermometer probe part.  Very small actually. Insulation around the rest of it.

GusRobin

Yes but I believe that the thermometer and the probe are one piece. So if you remove the termometer and plug the probe hole with a bolt, you will need a bolt head the size of the thermometer. My plan was to just grind or cutoff the probe at the threaded part where the nit holds it in place.

DTAggie

Well be the explorer and let us know how it goes.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: GusRobin on July 04, 2010, 02:13:06 PM
Yes but I believe that the thermometer and the probe are one piece. So if you remove the termometer and plug the probe hole with a bolt, you will need a bolt head the size of the thermometer. My plan was to just grind or cutoff the probe at the threaded part where the nit holds it in place.

As the Queen of Hearts would say .... "OFF with his Probe". ;D

TestRocket

Toker

i did cut a bit of it to fit my extra racks