• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Butt, Butt

Started by stillsmoking, July 04, 2010, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stillsmoking

Got 19 lbs of pork butt smoking this morning.  Last night I put some homemade dry rub on one, a mustard/hot chili garlic sauce rub on the other, wrapped for the night and off to sleep.  Up early this morning to fire up the smokers (that's right two smokers), got hickory, cherry and apple in the mix.  In addition to the water bowl have an aluminum pan with some dark beer in both smokers under the pork.  Now the hard part, waiting.  Plan to have some type of red sauce pulled pork and maybe some Nepas style Carnitas or some green chili pork with some and maybe ultimately some egg rolls or tacos.  Will try to post some pics later.  Haven't tried the mustard/chili garlic rub before so am interested to see how the two rubs compare.

FLBentRider

Sounds like a plan to me.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TestRocket

So what we need now is an update: Including PICS, what's in your homemade rub and along with how the two compare we need PICS. Good luck!

TestRocket

So what we need now is an update: Including PICS, what's in your homemade rub and along with how the two compare we need PICS. Good luck!

stillsmoking

Update, been in the smokers for about 7 1/2 hours now.  Browning up nicely but got a ways to go.  The homemade rub is what I have on hand and what sounds good.  No measuring except by eyeball but it has smoked paprika, saltless lemon pepper, ground cumin, brown sugar, season salt, curry powder, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, sage and a small amount of sweet basil.  I think that's about it, I go light on the salt and sugar but like to have some for flavor.  The mustard/hot chili garlic sauce rub was just that, sweet hot mustard and hot chili garlic sauce mixed together and slathered on.  If I had thought of it at the time I would have added a little soy sauce.  Black Butte porter for the beer.  Will do some pictures as things develop.  At this point I am marinating the cook in some Beam and coke, I have tried this in the past and it works well.  The cook comes out tender and sweet with a little spice.

stillsmoking

Took a bit but here is what they looked like this morning.
[IMG]http://i994.photo

classicrockgriller

stillsmoking

Took both butts out and tried a bit of each.  The wife and I both agree that there is not that much difference in flavor but the mustard/hot chili garlic sauce butt seems to be more tender and moist.  Pretty close to identical in appearance.  Will post a couple more pictures in the morning.  Got some shredding and saucing to do.

stillsmoking

Got some pictures.

Out of the smoker, the one on the left is the dry rub

stillsmoking

Sorry, wrong picture.  The picture above is shredded obviously.  This is the butt with the dry rub and it has been in the fridge all night.  Shredding didn't get finished until about midnight.

stillsmoking

Here are the butts after being taken out of the smoker.  Left Dry rub, right mustard/hot chili.

classicrockgriller

Nice color on the bark.

The right one with the chili powder has a "Warm" glow to it.

stillsmoking

One more picture for now.  Left dry rub, right mustard/chil sauce.

The picture is after being in the fridge all night.  Getting ready to have some pork with green chili sauce on a corn tortilla with a fried egg for breakfast.

For the record we still agree that the mustard butt was slightly moister but the butt with the dry rub shredded easier.  They were in the smokers for the same amount of time and temps.  Will be making some sauce as the day goes on.

TestRocket

They good very good!

Smoking Duck

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra