• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Fishy or Not????

Started by ninerguy, July 04, 2010, 11:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninerguy

Hello everyone:  I have not tried to smoke any fish in the OBS yet as I have heard that once you smoke fish you will not get rid of the smell in the smoker.  So I am a little hesitant to try.  BUT i DO LOVE SMOKED SALMON.  I would appreciate any and all feedback on this subject.  ninerguy.
When my feet hit the floor in the morning I know it's a good day

FLBentRider

I have smoked salmon in my smoker.

No one noticed anything on subsequent smokes.

Even if it does, just run it empty for a few hours with some pucks. That should take care of any residual odors.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

StickyDan

I think someone is yankin yer chain.  I've done lots of salmon and no odor.  Go for it and make sure you make enough to share with the whole class. ;)

Quarlow

I have to agree. I do a lot of salmon and I have never had a problem with fish smell. The smoke is powerful enough to coat any smell. The next time you smoke something take a smell of the smoker, I am betting all you smell is nice sweet smoke. Go for it, you won't regret it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

BuyLowSellHigh

Think of your kitchen oven.  The Bradley smoker is no different.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

RossP

Me thinks someones chain got yanked. :o
No left over smells or odors in the Bradley
except the sweet smell of smoke.  ;D
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Tiny Tim

If it smells fishy, ya got bad fish.  Maybe that's what happened to whoever told you that.

DTAggie

I have smoked alot of salmon in my OBS.  No odor problem what so ever.

pensrock

Same here, I have done salmon and steelhead with no leftover odor at all.

ninerguy

Thanks for the info everyone.  Actually it was the stepfather who told me that, but he used to smoke in an old refrigerator so I don't know if it had any vents or not.  Have some rainbow trout I am going to try with some Alder smoke.  Not sure how long to do them though, any ideas?

ninerguy ???
When my feet hit the floor in the morning I know it's a good day

tsquared

2 hours of smoke, then a couple of more hours with just the heat. Smoked rainbows--mmmm-- haven't had those for awhile.
T2

hal4uk

I hate the darned little bones (there's usually still some to beware of in "boneless" rainbow trout)...
But, smoked RT is friggin' DELICIOUS!  Go for it!

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby