• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bubba is On The Way

Started by oakville smoker, July 05, 2010, 08:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

You can read about my trials and tribulations on another thread   Spider 1 - Gass ZERO

My wife is on the way to pick up my new Bubba right now and a bag of DragonFyre charcoal
I know I will get it seasoned tonight but not sure I will get to cook on it.  But where there is a will, there is a way

No more propane tanks.  No more low heat searing.  No more running out of propone just as I am about to heave
some steaks on the on the old gasser.  No more spiders hiding in places they should'nt be.

Look out Bubba nation.  My Bradley and I are only hours from becoming full fledged members. I can't wait.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Woo Hoo!   Another Bubba in the fold...

I'm kicking myself for not getting one of the $299 clearance ones.
(like I need another toyool)

oakville smoker

I don't think any of the 299 action was ever in my neck of the woods but I did manage to wrangle a 15% discount which is not all bad
5 hours and counting till Bubba comes out to play
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

classicrockgriller

Congrats OakSmok.

I have enjoyed mine so far.

oakville smoker

CRG

If my gasser had not burned / melted I may not have signed up for this
Looking at your Bubba posts, it inspired me to go back to charcoal

This should be fun

classicrockgriller

Quote from: oakville smoker on July 05, 2010, 09:08:59 AM
CRG

If my gasser had not burned / melted I may not have signed up for this
Looking at your Bubba posts, it inspired me to go back to charcoal

This should be fun

We are lucky we have a good Teacher in ronbreau.

Let the party begin!

ronbeaux

Mine is going as we speak! Looks like they website trouble over there though???
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

oakville smoker

That is what it appears to be Ron
I was heading there to learn and all that good stuff but I cannot connect
The suspense is killing me
4 hours and 9 minutes till Bubba time

oakville smoker

Let the learning begin

Got home last night, it was about 90 degrees and humid as h double hockey sticks
The gasser had to be taken apart and as I heaved each component I cursed it for the chicken it incinerated, the steaks that were never quite right, for running out of gas and coming close to burning my house down.  RIP gasser

Now the reward
Covered in sweat, sweat dripping off my head, I start putting Bubba together
No major issues, everything went as it was supposed to which is not usually the case for me when "some assembly" required is involved

Now its together and I am as giddy as a school girl.  Could be the heat.  Could be the beer.  Could be Bubba.
Oh heck, how am I going to have a relationship with a cooking appliance called Bubba? 
Its sounding like a jail house movie.  Lets not go there

Seasoned it up with some Dragon Fyre but had a heck of a time getting the charcoal lit.  This is going to be a learning experience all around.
Tried the newspaper and it took a few attempts to get achieve combustion.  The manual says to use an igniter product.  I am undecided.  I was
thinking even a few little pieces of kindling could do the trick with some paper.

Tonight I have some sirloins I wet aged for 30 days after I bought them.  I would love to smoke them in my DBS prior to them meeting Bubba
but its way too hot for that.

If I dont drink too much, pics should follow tonight or tomorrow

squirtthecat

2 words:   Mapp Torch    ;)

FLBentRider

I dredge newspaper balls in bacon grease.

Makes it burn slower and hotter.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

OS, congrats on the Bubba - good eats will be coming your way 

However

Quote from: oakville smoker on July 06, 2010, 05:02:58 AM

Covered in sweat, ......... I am as giddy as a school girl. .......  Could be the beer.  Could be Bubba.........

Do I hear banjo music?

I've used newspaper and twigs to light lump charcoal when I've forgotten my chimney.  Works well.  As far as using it for briquettes - don't know! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

oakville smoker

Ahhh yes, twigs
I only have a forest in my backyard and I live on a ravine
All cuttings and branches and stuff usually tossed over the ravine
Sounds like I will doing a little climbing and scavening what I can
Better yet, the children can earn dinner and find me some wood

The MAPP Torch is a great idea if I was a plumber but the expense is hard  to justify for lighting charcoal.....   LOL
Maybe my propane torch I use for the odd plumbing job would work, maybe have to give that a try tonight

Caney....  thought it was just me hearing the banjos.  BBQs maned Bubbas.  I will be watching over my shoulders from here on in !    :o

classicrockgriller

Lowes and Home Depot sell blocks of seasoned starter wood.

You don't need much to get it going.