• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Sausage Supplies - My list and where to order

Started by OTB, July 06, 2010, 01:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTB

So my fist attempt at snack sticks was a huge success, thanks to everyone on this forum.  I found some ingredients in the recipes that I could not locate locally, so will have to order online.  As you know, the shipping charges are what get you when ordering online, and most of these ingredients are pretty cheap.

That being said I figure I should just order most of the common used sausage supplies.  My questions are, Does my shopping list look pretty complete, AND, any suggestions on where to order.

Already Have:
Cure #1
Morton's Tender Quick
Grizzley 5LB stuffer
Casings
KA grinder attachment

SHOPPING LIST:
Encapsulated Citric Acid
Powdered Dextrose
Non-Fat Dry Milk Powder
Fermento
Corn Syrup Solids
Potassium Sorbate
I assume I should also get some food grade lubricant for the stuffer as well

Habanero Smoker

Here is a list of common and not so common ingredients for sausage making. Don't use any of the links within the post, because the do not work properly. You will need to scroll up and down.
Sausage Ingredients

If you are purchasing cure #1, you really don't need the Morton TQ. You may want to narrow down what types of sausage you are planning on making, so that you can order the right casings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OTB

Thanks Habanero Smoker.  I actually based my shopping list off that page.  You will also notice that the cure #1 and MTC are things I already have.  I have found many sites that have some of the items, but not all of the items I am looking for.  I also noticed that meatprocessingproducts web prices are outrageous.

love the smoke

I get a lot of that kind of stuff from sausagemaker.com

Powdered milk..... from local grocery store but you may need to run it through a old coffee grinder or food processor to make it into a finer powder

Or you can get soy protein concentrate from above place,,, same thing
LTS

classicrockgriller

A approved forum vendor.

www.alliedkenco.com

Habanero Smoker

I get most of my supplies from Sausage Maker, but for your list your best choice would be to purchase from Allied Kenco. They carry everything on your list.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

NePaSmoKer

Careful putting the PS on sticks. It can make the casings taste funny. Spraying on jerky is ok.

lumpy

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: lumpy on July 07, 2010, 10:49:47 AM
Is PS really needed.

Lumpy

Only if your going to leave it on the counter for sometime or sending like overseas.

lumpy

You know what I look like..do you think any meat is left on the counter :D :D

Yes I can see for overseas though.

Stay out of the heat!

Lump

OTB

Since I am thinking I will probably be making fresh sausage more than smoked sausage, maybe I will just order:

Encapsulated Citric Acid
Powdered Dextrose
Fermento
Corn Syrup Solids

Do you guys use any lubricant on your sausage stuffer, or is it a waste since the sausage has the fat that will lubricate it anyways.  I am thinking that you only need to lubricate the "O rings" before you put it away for a while.  What do you do?

Habanero Smoker

The lubricant is a good thing to have. A little goes a long way, and it will never go bad. My stuffer has nylon gears, so I don't feel the need to lube the gears. I use a food grade silicone spray for my "O" ring, bu the solid lubrication is much cheaper..

I
         don't
                   inhale.

OTB

UPDATE:  I got a box from www.alliedkenco.com today.  There prices were very reasonable and shipping/service was great.  Here is what I ordered:

Encapsulated Citric Acid
Powdered Dextrose
Non-Fat Dry Milk Powder
Fermento
Corn Syrup Solids
LEM Bologna kit
small tube of food grade lubricant for stuffer "O" ring

Think I have enough supplies now to get me through the next year without trying to find a sausage ingredient that is not locally available.

Thanks for everybody's help.

classicrockgriller

OTB, Allied Kenco is in Houston as you know and I live north of there.

I paid them a visit and this is the place in person.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14045.0

Cody is a great guy and does a great job taking care of people on the forum.

Glad to hear you are happy.

JF7FSU

Which rings in the 5lb vertical stuffer need lubrication?  I figured the meat was greasy enough?
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone