• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brisket help - Updated with pics

Started by Mailman, July 08, 2010, 04:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mailman

Yep its me again. This time I have a fresh butcher cut brisket. Told them I wanted about an 8 pounder. she told me they range from 8- 12. Well wife picked it up today its a 14 pounder!! if I start cooking it at 225 degrees @ 2 hrs per pound I'm gonna have to start cookin it 28 hours before planning to eat. Might have to cut some to fit on rack in Dbs. You all got any suggestions on a good easy rub? and any suggestions on cooking this monster.
If to error is human. Than I'm more human than most.

classicrockgriller

You are probably going to have to cut it to fit it on one of your racks, so you could 1/2 now and freeze the other 1/2 for later.

But That wouldn't be any fun.

If you like a biyt of a kick to your rub you can try the Salt Lick clone.

Or there are several on the recipe site.

DTAggie

My last four briskets I have been done with a simple rub of salt and ground pepper.  If you have it, I also add some Grub Rub.  Did two totaling about 16 pounds on the 4th and everyone loved them.

I use 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/3 cup ground pepper and 3/4 cup Grub Rub.  Grub Rub has Sugar listed first then salt, pepper, spices and garlic.  I actually did one with just the 1/4 salt and a 1/2 cup pepper and it was pretty dang good.  The sugar does add a nice touch.

I was doing briskets to an IT of 190* then FTC.  On the 4th I did IT of 185* then FTC for two hours and they were amazingly juicy and GOOD.

Mailman

ok had to cut the bad boy in half. trimmed a little but not much. seasoned it with famous daves rib rub. In ziploc bag in fridge. Will star cooking on sat. hope it will be ready by 5:00 pm sunday.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Mailman on July 08, 2010, 07:23:18 PM
ok had to cut the bad boy in half. trimmed a little but not much. seasoned it with famous daves rib rub. In ziploc bag in fridge. Will star cooking on sat. hope it will be ready by 5:00 pm sunday.

When do you plan on starting it and what temp are you going to be smoking/cooking at.

DTAggie

I would start Saturday night by 9 or 10.  Do your smoke.  Change out the water then go to bed.  Should give you plenty of time to make sure it hits 185* to 190*  IT then FTC until ready to serve.

Mailman

If i start at 9 pm sat.  at 220 degrees Will it hit IT of 180-190 @ 3 or so, so I can FTC for 1-2 hours? What temps would you cook at? The briket was 14 lbs but had to cut in half.

DTAggie

I would think you would hit the IT by 3 at the latest.  Good thing about the FTC, if iy you hit IT you want by even 12 or 1 the FTC will keep it perfect until 5

Mailman

Quote from: Mailman on July 08, 2010, 08:35:25 PM
If i start at 9 pm sat.  at 220 degrees Will it hit IT of 180-190 @ 3 or so, so I can FTC for 1-2 hours? What temps would you cook at? The briket was 14 lbs but had to cut in half.
So does this sound like the right way to go?

DTAggie

Did you seperate the flat from the point or just cut straight in half?

DTAggie

Mailman, just so you know, that rub I use makes several briskets.  Do not over apply no matter what rub you use.

ArnieM

I'll throw in my $0.02.

That's a big brisket.  It must have come from a happy California cow  :D

As far as a rub goes, S&P with a little granulated garlic would work.  Then there's Pachanga's rub and mustard slather on susanminor.org.  It works well for me.

I would figure on 2 hours per pound.  That's because the cabinet temp will drop like a rock when you put the meat in; it's a heavy load.  It won't get back up to 220-225 for a while.

Let the meat sit on the counter while the smoker is preheating.  Preheat as high as you can.  260 would be good.  My OBS never gets that hot.

Now, work the math.  26-28 hours of cooking.  2 hours of FTC.  An hour or less of preheat.  Add it up and subtract from your planned dinner time.  That's when you start, as inconvenient as it might be.  No one said this was convenient :-\

I'd put the point (thicker half) on a rack below the flat (thinner half) with both on the upper racks.  The lower racks get too much direct heat and the bottom will fry.  If you have two probes, use them.  If not, monitor the flat.  If the IT gets too high, it will dry out.  The point has a lot more fat in it.

Don't forget to change out the water bowl after the smoke, maybe 4 hours.

Don't overcook it.  An IT of 180-185 before FTC seems to work pretty well. 

I wish you good fortune and good eats.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

StickyDan

I followed this recipe as close as I could using what I had the cupboard.  I've been putting it on everything and it's pretty good.  Careful though cuz to much of this rub and your asking for something that borders on too salty. 

Memphis Blues All Purpose Dry Rub
Ingredients:
1 cup (250 ml) dried parsley
1 cup (250 ml) sugar
1 cup (250 ml) Lawry's Seasoned Salt
3 Tbsp (45 ml) ground black pepper
3 Tbsp (45 ml) garlic powder
3 Tbsp (45 ml) onion powder
3 Tbsp (45 ml) dried oregano
3 Tbsp (45 ml) sweet paprika
1 Tbsp (15 ml) mild mustard powder (* Do NOT use Keen's)
1 Tbsp (15 ml) celery salt
pinch cayenne pepper
Method:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk thoroughly so there are no clumps.
Store in an airtight container in the cupboard up to 6 months

DTAggie

Arnie, he did cut it in half, but has not yet replied if he separated point and flat or just in half.  Hopefully we have given him enough to have confidence to do a good job.

ArnieM

Quote from: DTAggie on July 08, 2010, 10:12:37 PM
Arnie, he did cut it in half, but has not yet replied if he separated point and flat or just in half.  Hopefully we have given him enough to have confidence to do a good job.

There's cutting it in half and separating the flat and the point.  In half is probably close enough for government work.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.