• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Weekend cooking plan.

Started by MechMedic130, July 10, 2010, 05:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MechMedic130

So I just had surgery last week to repair a hernia, but I'm finally feeling good enough to get outside and do some smoking again. Planning on doing a rack of Baby Backs for the wife and I, but also was going to try making my first Fatty since I was inspired by a breakfast fatty I saw on here a couple weeks ago.

I've got the ribs out thawing right now, planning on seasoning them tonight. I'm thinking of just doing a simple rub down and letting them sit in the fridge for the night. I'll probably be up by 7am tomorrow, so I'm thinking I'll wake up and start heating the smoker to 220. Get my fatty ready(Jimmy Dean Sausage, Pepper Jack, Onions, Taters, Anaheim Pepper, wrapped in Bacon). Once it's heated up, throw both that and the ribs in by hopefully 0730. Hit the whole thing with 3 hours of apple.

Once the smoke cuts, the Fatty should be done so I'm gonna take that out and wrap it in foil for maybe an hour and have a nice Fatty and Eggs breakfast. Let the ribs cook until hopefully until maybe 4, then wrap em in foil and sauce them, let them cook for another hour or so and be eating by 5:30.

Sound solid? Should I give myself more time on the ribs? It's not a big rack, just one single rack of baby backs. The weather should be conducive to quick cooking, it's gonna be about 80 degrees out. I only live 2 blocks from Lake Ontario and get a strong breeze off of it some days, but I have it positioned on the opposite side of my garage from the lake to cut that down, because the wind always seemed to be worse than the actual temp. Any tips?

FLBentRider

I think that is way too much time for a single rack of baby backs.

Most people do baby backs for four to six hours.

I think I understand that you are trying to use the same smoke session for both items, but I think the ribs are going to be done around noon or so.

I'm glad you're feeling better from the surgery. I had that done a while back. A double. It was fun... NOT
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

MechMedic130

Good to know, last time I made ribs I was cooking a much larger order so it took a while since I had ribs on all 4 racks of my smoker, had to alternate them. The time before that was about the same. Much bigger group of people though.

Maybe I can bump up my time an hour, start at 9am, have the Fatty by 1pm for lunch still, sauce the ribs once I finish lunch, take them out by 3pm, FTC for 2 hours then eat by 5pm? I can always cut the heat once the Fatty is out also.

FLBentRider

Sounds like a plan.

Just watch for the meat to pull away from the bone ends, that's when they are done.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

MechMedic130

Will do. And yeah, I'm trying to get two meals out of one smoke. Be puck efficient!

KyNola

FLBR has you hooked up.  Glad to hear you're recuperating nicely.

DTAggie

I have two breakfast fatties smoking right now to take down to the river tomorrow.  The first when I did I cooked until the IT was 180*.  Have no idea why I picked that temp, probably becuase I fell asleep and woke up and that was the temp.  Mine have been in the smoker for 1 hour now and are only at 105* and 100* respectively.  Three hours may catch it.

classicrockgriller

MM, glad to hear you are up and about and feel good enough to get back to Smokin'.

MechMedic130

Thanks guys, 4 inch incision and 9 staples makes it a bit tough to get around but it's getting easier. Had to get off the heavier pain meds though because they made me feel awful. A little Ibuprofin is much better.

MechMedic130

Turns out I'm getting dragged out to dinner tomorrow night for my boss though, she's getting promoted so I have to go to a fair well dinner I had hoped I'd missed by being laid up. Got begged into going though.

So my cooking plans get bumped one day. Monday will be my cooking day.  :-\

classicrockgriller

Gives you a couple more days to recover.

You'll be doing cartwheels by Monday.

MechMedic130

That'd be one hell of a recovery because I couldn't do cartwheels before hand, lol.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: MechMedic130 on July 10, 2010, 05:12:45 PM
That'd be one hell of a recovery because I couldn't do cartwheels before hand, lol.

The Magic of Modern Day Medicine!

KevinG

Hernias - been there, done that. They suck. I had to have a wire mesh put in me to hold me together. Good to hear you're up and around.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

_Bear_

I did some babybacks today, used tenpoint5's cooking instructions, total cook time was 6 hrs with the apple juice and sauce ect, they turned out awsome. I did 6 racks, 3 with baby backs (very thick) and 3 with spares (much thinner), the babybacks I would give an hr longer next time and the spares I would give 1 hr less. they are still awsome, when I reheat them for a party next weekend, the babybacks will just stay in the BBQ for a little longer befor serving.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16894.0
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"