• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bubba Keg brisket cook with Stoker

Started by DarqMan, July 10, 2010, 08:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTNuge

DarqMan

Here's the StokerLog software.  The screenshot that STC posted was the built-in html page served up by the Stoker's web server.

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

DarqMan

You'll probably have to scroll it to the right to see all of it.  My display resolution is set really high 1920x1080.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

classicrockgriller

Looks good to me.

That stoker is stokin".

squirtthecat

Just curious..  Why didn't you enable the 'lid detection'?

DarqMan

Because I don't have an alarm set for the fire.  Here's the section from the help file on the settings:

Auto-Lid Open Detection
One of the negative aspects of automated temperature control is that if you open the lid of the smoker, the fire probe temperature drops, causing the blow to run and create a flare up.  Stoker has a menu option to turn this on but this is hard to do quickly and at any rate, one can forget and have a flare up still.  If you turn on the checkbox marked "Auto Lid Detection", StokerLog will monitor temperature of the fire probe and if it drops suddenly, it will force the target temp for the fire to be 50 degrees F, which should cause the blower to stay off.  The program will then wait 5 minutes before returning the target value to whatever it was set to before change.  If you want to turn the blower back sooner, simply uncheck the box and the unit will quickly revert back to original setting.

When the program detects that the lid is open, the text legend "Auto Lid Detection" turns red and a caption is created and put on the chart.  Once it turns off, it goes back to being black and another caption is put on the graph.  While the lid is open (i.e. the text is red), there is a countdown timer until this mode is turned off.  The text changes from "Auto Lid Detection" to "Auto Lid Det (min)" where min is the number of minutes left until we resume the original temperature.  Note that if you modify the target fire value, it can get overwritten while the legend is red. 

The way the program detects the lid being opened is by looking at how fast the temperature drops.  If the current reading is lower by X degrees from the previous one, then it will assume the lid has been opened, causing the probe to cool off.  Since it is impossible to set a number that works for all scenarios, we make this parameter programmable under Settings->Advanced.   Increase the value if the program is not detecting the lid being opened.  Or lower it if you are getting false alarms, when for example, the blower cycles.

Tip: you may not want to leave this mode on all the time.  Instead, check it before you go and play with the smoker and then turn it off when done.  This way, it is not subject to false alarms when you are not watching it.

In version 5.0+, there is no an advanced setting to program the time delay.  So instead of 5 minute delay, you can use a shorter or longer time.  Also, the temp that the stoker is brought down to is now 50, instead of 32 to avoid some reported problems with stoker target being set too low.

squirtthecat

Gotcha.   Thanks.

Hal's DigiQ has something similar to that to keep the blower from coming on full blast after we have the door open.

DarqMan

I hear that's a nice product too.  I'll eventually get on so I can compare the two. 

OldHickory

This is awesome.  I have been watching and waiting for your posts on the Stoker, now it is here and I am blown away.  I don't Twitter, not that computer smart, but I will be watching for your continued posts with intense intrest.  Thanks for sharing.  GO GO DarqMan.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

ronbeaux

Pretty darn cool Darqman! I can't believe you passed on the $4.00 throwaway grill though???
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

DarqMan

Quote from: ronbeaux on July 10, 2010, 10:15:37 AM
Pretty darn cool Darqman! I can't believe you passed on the $4.00 throwaway grill though???

Thanks Ron, I will get one for the next cook FOR SURE!

DarqMan

My wireless game adapter lost connection to the network.  I'm cooking on the opposite end of the house so I had to restart to get connected again.  Looks like I need to get an extender.

DarqMan

If you've been following this cook you know it's been all over the place.  I learned a lot and made some mistakes.  At this point I'm tempted to take it off and finish it on the Traeger.  I'm going to let it go a bit longer before I do that but I think eventually I'll have to. 

NePaSmoKer

Me likes  ;D

I think by the time i get back to NC all the Bubba's at Home Peepot will be gone.

DarqMan

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 10, 2010, 02:36:45 PM
Me likes  ;D

I think by the time i get back to NC all the Bubba's at Home Peepot will be gone.

Yeah, they certainly aren't getting any more.  I was fortunate to get this one.  I really like it but have some practice before I have it down.  But hey, I'm have a BLAST learning ;D