• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pimenton

Started by psdubl07, June 11, 2005, 08:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psdubl07

WOW!  This stuff is great.  For all you chipotle fans, try and get your hands on some Pimenton.  It is a SUPER smoky Spanish paprika.  I used some in a rib rub this morning.  I was ready to eat the damn things before they even went in the smoker!!!
Here's some info on it:
http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20000316pimenton3.asp

OK, fine, here's a pic of the ribs, ready to go [:D][:p]

Oldman

Interesting to say the least. I found this one place that sell it 750g (24.4 ounces) for $13.49 US.  It did not say which of the three types it is though. http://www.shopgourmetsmarket.com/fine_foods/other/lachianta/

Other places I saw did not sell it in that amount and when you factored in their cost it went to $47.52 for the same amount.

That is a large price spead. Where did you get yours and how much did it cost?

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

3rensho

I found this new item at Penzeys.  They don't call it Pimenton, just smoked Spanish paprika.  $12.90 for a 16 0z. bag.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysspanishpaprika.html?id=6i8wEBXr

Tom

Smokin' in Switzerland
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Oldman

You know we have a member here <b>BigSmoker</b> who sell spices. His site is: BBQshopping.com I wonder if he know anything about the various price spreads we are seeing here.

I don't think Jeff has this item, but perhaps if he might if enough of us would like to try it out. Personally I would rather purchase items from members I trust then from someone I don't know. From what I've read this Pimenton looks like the next super-glue. However, I have also read enough to know that are varying offerings out there in order to market this item.

Perhaps Jeff can cut through the mustard if there is enough interest on our part. I know that if he carried it, that in itself would assured that me that I would be getting what was offered with all known variables.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

psdubl07

I got it at a spice shop here in Seattle.  I don't remember how much it was per oz because I bought about 12 different spices. [:0]
I'll check it out next time I'm down there.

BTW, the ribs were great.  I meant to take a pic of the finished product, but they didn't last that long! [;)]

MallardWacker

psd,

I think a heavy paprika based rub is always good for ribs.  I've tried other fancy type stuff but always find myself coming back to the paprika stuff.  That looks greta and I will try some.  I know I should do a seach here but it would fit in well after these thoughts; Does anyone have a good simple Paprika based rub recipe???

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

psdubl07

Mallard, I agree.  I find that on ribs, I specifically like heavy paprika-based rubs.  True to my style of cooking, instead of following a recipe, I usually just start throwing things in and tasting it as I go to see if it needs more salt, sweetness etc...  The rub for the ribs in the pic above was heavy paprika, both Hungarian sweet and the Pimenton, 2 diff kinds of chili powder, celery salt, turbinado sugar, black and white pepper, Mexican oregano, very small amounts of lemon powder and ground fennel and coriander seeds, and probably a few other things I can't remember now.[:D]

Olds, I just looked at the website of the place I got the Pimenton and it was $1.50 per ounce.
http://www.worldspice.com/  
Click on Spices&Herbs, then Paprika&Pimenton.

Oldman

Thanks for the link.... now I just got set back on my butt when I went there:

<hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1"><b>We save loads of money by NOT taking credit cards. You don't have to worry about your card numbers being abused because we don't want to know them. We ship your order after you give us your name, address, and phone number (which is strictly guarded and used only if absolutely necessary) with an invoice enclosed. <font color="red">You drop a check in the mail when you get the package and everything is to your satisfaction.</font id="red"> We ask that you send payment as soon as possible, again, to help keep costs low (and because we have to pay rent, too ya' know). We all know it takes time for stuff to ship and mail, but we all also know what's reasonable here (don't make us say it).</b><hr noshade size="1"><hr noshade size="1">

Damn unusal for today's world.

Olds

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />That looks greta and I will try some.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So who is that Swedish chick, can you post pictures? I thought you were married![;)][:D][:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

Well I order a few items from them. Two of the items I will really enjoy: Lemon Peel Power, and Lemon Crystal. Came across a couple of items I had never seen before. One is exciting as I use the sauce of it in many recipes: Worcestershire Powder! Another is their Long Pepper... which should be interesting!

Olds

psdubl07

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />That looks greta and I will try some.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So who is that Swedish chick, can you post pictures? I thought you were married![;)][:D][:D][:D]

Kirk

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

LMAO!!![:p]

Olds, funny you should mention the credit card thing.  I had to go to the cash machine when I was there because they wouldn't take my card!
That place is great though.  They have smelling samples of all the spices in jars.  My buddy and I walked out of there after about 45 minutes and felt high from sniffing spices...LOL! [:o)]

Be sure to use some of that worchestershishtershirerer powder in your brisket rub!

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">That looks greta and I will try some.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Kirk,

I can garuaaantee you it's not the one on FOX news.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
Lemon Crystal.  
Olds<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So your smoking Lemon Crystal now? I thought this was a family friendly site. I'm not sure thats legal here in California.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
<br />Mallard, I agree.  I find that on ribs, I specifically like heavy paprika-based rubs.  True to my style of cooking, instead of following a recipe, I usually just start throwing things in and tasting it as I go to see if it needs more salt, sweetness etc...  The rub for the ribs in the pic above was heavy paprika, both Hungarian sweet and the Pimenton, 2 diff kinds of chili powder, celery salt, turbinado sugar, black and white pepper, Mexican oregano, very small amounts of lemon powder and ground fennel and coriander seeds, and probably a few other things I can't remember now.[:D]

ps,

I know this may be stretching things here.  But can you get just a little closer with your instructions.  I would love to make a batch now that my local sorce is dried up.

Olds, I just looked at the website of the place I got the Pimenton and it was $1.50 per ounce.
http://www.worldspice.com/  
Click on Spices&Herbs, then Paprika&Pimenton.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

psdubl07

MW, I'll give it a shot, but these are TOTAL guesses.  I really go by the taste as I'm mixing up the rub.

1/3 cup Sweet Hungarian Paprika, 4 Tbl Pimenton
3 Tbl each Ancho Chili Powder, and store-bought "regular" chili powder
4 Tbl Turbinado sugar
2 Tbl Celery Salt, 1 Tbl Kosher Salt  (I don't add too much salt as I feel it pulls too much moisture out of the meat.  For the same reason, I pull the ribs out of the refrig 1 hour before smoke and put the rub on then.)
2 Tbl Mexican Oregano (mine is powdered)
1 Tbl Onion Powder
1 Tbl Garlic Powder
1/2 Tbls each ground Coriander and Fennel seeds
Black and White pepper to taste
Pinch of Lemon powder/crystal

I also used about 1/2 Tbl of some store-bought "BBQ" seasoning which has smoke flavor added.

I think that was about it, HTH.  Again, these are SWAGs, I re-adjusted it prob 6 times before I felt it was balanced and tasted how I wanted it to.