• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Moose Tenderloin Recipes?

Started by stillsmoking, July 10, 2010, 04:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stillsmoking

Hello all, got some moose tenderloin thawing out and wondering if any of you all have a proven recipe.  I am leaning towards a red wine or dark beer based marinade with some garlic, onion and a few other spices but haven't made up my mind just yet.  I am familiar with moose and cooking methods but thought I would put this out there for discussion or comment.  Planning on putting something together for tomorrow so time is of the essence.

Smoking Duck

Hey SS,

I like the idea of a dark beer marinade.....I would certainly cover it with bacon as you know moose is a very lean meat and the bacon will help keep it moist.  I'd love to see some pics if you take any. 

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

aces-n-eights

I would second Ducks idea on using bacon.  I've never tried a dark beer marinade, but have used red wine several times and it's a winner in my house.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

stillsmoking

Thanks Duck and aces-n-eights.  You confirmed my thinking that probably either way would be good.  The wife tells me we have red wine but no beer at the moment, still undecided but got to get moving.  We are also doing smoked sockeye today, pulled pork chili, and smoked salmon chowder.  Didn't really plan all that just the way it turned out.  Have some leftover smoked salmon from dinner a night or two ago that will be used in the chowder, leftover pulled pork from Monday, and some sockeye due to come out of the brine in a bit.

stillsmoking

Went with the red wine.  Red Wine, garlic, smoked paprika, apple juice, onion, black pepper and soy sauce.  2 lb moose tenderloin is in the marinade and will spend at least eight hours there.  Will take some pictures as things develop.  Got the fish out of the brine drying and the wife is prepping garlic, onion, jalapeno and tomato to go in the smoker and later be added to the chili.

stillsmoking

What I did, moose loin in the marinade for approximately 6 hours, not as much as I wanted but I think plenty of flavor.  I sliced some sweet onion and put on the rack under the moose, bacon on top.  I must admit in general I am not a real bacon guy but this looks sweet.  Into the smoker with cherry, apple and hickory in that order.  Will take out at an internal temp of about 150 and FTC for a bit.  Will post a picture of the finished product.

KevinG

That's looking good, I'll bet it'll be real tasty.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Smoking Duck

I'm just gonna ignore that whole "I'm not a bacon guy" comment  ;D

That looks awesome, SS and I like the onion underneath thing.....I'd like to try that with some jalapenos

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

stillsmoking

Ok, knew I would offend a few folks with the bacon comment but look at this.  I have been revelated, all hail bacon!

And one more

classicrockgriller

Good gosh that looks good!

Never knew a Moose has a two lb Tenderloin!

That really is nice!

watchdog56

Looks good and moist,nice job.

stillsmoking

Thanks all it was very good.  Moist, tender and so mild you could have easily mistaken it for spring lamb.  The bacon was good and added to the final product, the marinade was just about right you could taste it but in no way overwhelming.  All in all a good deal.  We served with seasoned barley and mushrooms made in the rice cooker and some cooked cauliflower.  Liked it so well we did it again the next night.

TestRocket

The finished product looks delicious and I have to give you kudos on those bacon slices!