• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Should I be elevating OBS

Started by Hiram, July 13, 2010, 10:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiram

Had my OBS for a couple of months, did the front legs conversion and it works fine. I was thinking this morning I always smoke on the carport with the unit sitting on the concrete. Should I have something undeneath it (board or etc) to insulate it from the damp and cold conctrete (it's always cool even on 90 degree days) or is there sufficient insulation in the bottom of the unit that I don't have to worry.

classicrockgriller

I'm too old to bend down all the time to tend to the Bradley.

I have mine on a table. Makes life easier.

If you have damp concrete, it may not hurt to raise it up off ground.

I don't think I would put it on a piece of wood on the damp floor cause

the wood would just hold moisture.

Habanero Smoker

If you have the materials on hand, it couldn't hurt. There is plenty of insulation on the bottom, plus about 1.5" air gap between the insulation and bottom. So I don't believe adding placing cardboard or wood underneath will have any significant effect.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

I agree there's no need to put anything under the OBS.  I have mine on an old coffee table so I don't have to crawl around.  Too old for that - even older than CRG.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

IF your concrete stays damp or is damp alot, if the smoker was mine I would raise it off the ground.

But then, I am always wrong.

beefmann

i have mine elevated to make every thing easier to work with

DarqMan

Elevated with wheels is the way I like to go ;D

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

Hiram

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'm as is.

TestRocket

I concur, that the bending down stuff got old real quick. For about twenty bucks I picked up this little three shelf wire stand from Lowes or Home Depot and use tie down straps to hold it to the top shelf. This will do for now and I'm planning to upgrade to some type of wheeled cart maybe like "DarqMan" is using?

Click on PIC to enlarge:

DarqMan

Quote from: TestRocket on July 13, 2010, 09:02:59 PM
I concur, that the bending down stuff got old real quick. For about twenty bucks I picked up this little three shelf wire stand from Lowes or Home Depot and use tie down straps to hold it to the top shelf. This will do for now and I'm planning to upgrade to some type of wheeled cart maybe like "DarqMan" is using?

The umbrella is a nice touch TR!
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Hiram on July 13, 2010, 08:26:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, I guess I'm as is.

It's all about what you feel good about it.

TestRocket

DarqMan,

Yea, it didn't take but one smoke to find out how much the sun can affect the inside temp of the OBS. So I've tried to keep it shaded every since!

DarqMan

I keep mine just outside the garage door during a smoke. That helps keep it shaded and I can pull it back if it starts to rain.

Hiram, practically anything would work.  I have an old stereo stand I used until I got the rolling table. 

ArnieM

Quote from: DarqMan on July 13, 2010, 06:42:47 PM
Elevated with wheels is the way I like to go ;D

Just curious - what do you use the butane lighter for?  Puck warmer?  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hiram

The butane lighter has to be for cigars!