• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Summer sausage - First time.

Started by JF7FSU, July 14, 2010, 09:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF7FSU

I bought the LEM 5 lb stuffer kit and it came with 10  1.5" x 12" fibrous casings and a 10 lb packet of seasoning for summer sausage.

I have never made any salami, bologna or summer sausage although I have made Pens snack stick a few time. I imagine it is similar just bigger?  

I plan to use 8lbs ground beef and 2 pounds ground pork, unless someone thinks I can just use 80/20 beef?  

How many of these casings will I be able to fill with 10lbs of meat?

There are no real instructions for smoking, can someone give me some guidance on temp and times and what my IT temp should be?  The package says 170 in oven 165 for smoker.

Is it normal to use ECA in Summer sausage?

Thanks!
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

NePaSmoKer

I make SS out of 80/20 gb all the time. The casing are 1 to 1 1/4lb chubs so all 10 pounds should fill all your casings.

Use around 8 oz of water and mix all your dry in the water, it will mix into the meat better. Make sure you soak the casings in lukewarm water for 20-30 mins before stuffing.

For smoking start at 130* hang or rack 5 chubs at a time for 1.5 hrs, this makes the casings tacky (note) pre heat your smoker at the 130* while your stuffing. (do 5 chubs at a time)

PID Times

1. 130* for 1.5 hrs
2. 140* with smoke 3 to 6 pucks then 3 hrs just the 140
3. 150* for 3 hrs....check IT of chubs
4. 160* for 3 hrs check IT again.................your looking for an IT of 152-155*
5. 170* until your reach your IT......you will have a stall for awhile which is normal
6. 175* if you need to.

You can cold water rinse if you wish or hang and let the chubs cool and bloom for around 3 hrs (inside if you can)

JF7FSU

Thanks for the guidance!

Why only stuff 5lbs at a time?  And is the ECA ok to put in or is it not appropriate for summer sausage?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: JF7FSU on July 14, 2010, 09:56:26 PM
Thanks for the guidance!

Why only stuff 5lbs at a time?  And is the ECA ok to put in or is it not appropriate for summer sausage?

5 chubs at a time will get done faster than the 10. You can add the ECA and it will be just fine.

JF7FSU

Thanks for the help!  Maybe I should do 5lbs without the the ECA and 5lbs with.