• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My first Bradley pork butt!

Started by TestRocket, July 15, 2010, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TestRocket

I'm so glad the OBS and PID are on the porch because it's starting to rain a little. I have the PID covered a little just in case the wind blows and with the OBS facing east and under the porch I think it's safe too! At about 10:10 PM the temps were 210 and 110:

TestRocket

The PID has turned off the SG and the temps are 210 with and IT of 140. I'm watching for the smoke from the last puck to die down and I'll rotate front to back and refresh the water bowl and off to bed for a few hours. The PID is in control and I like how well it does doing its job. Night, night!

PS This is my first butt and but a base line. I can think of 5-7 things to do different but started off simple and with good notes I'll make it better. But I'm expecting this butt to be very good! Thanks!

classicrockgriller

Any Butt is better than No butt!

The Bradley does a great job on a Butt.

You will love it.

DTAggie

How is it coming along this morning TR?

TestRocket

It been just over 17 ½ hours and the PID is showing 210 (cooking temp) with and IT of 173 degs. The last 4-5 hours the IT has been only rising by 1 deg and hour. I decided to bump the cooking temp up to 225 degs to see if that will help her along.

At about 8:15 this AM I rotated the rack and checked the water bowl. The IT was 167 degs.

Here is what she looked like:

DTAggie

Looking good.  Another butt taking her own time.

classicrockgriller

Waiting on a Butt to get to right IT is like waiting on your wife to get dressed to go somewhere ....

They both are gonna take their sweet time.

Hang in there TR

DTAggie

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DTAggie on July 17, 2010, 07:32:50 PM
Welllllllllllllllll?

He's piggin out on the PIG!

I'm a nice guy .... I would post pictures before I eat. ;D

Uncle Pigfat

Looking great TR.  The shoulder I smoked yesterday was only 5 pounds but took 13 hours and I still pulled it out a little early when the IT hit 186.  It didn't feel all that fragile when I transfered it to foil to FTC for an hour and didn't pull as easy as I would have liked but was buttery soft and delicious none the less. I'll definitely be cooking with the fatty side up next time to keep my butt juicy as hell.  Like it was in a rap video.

TestRocket

Sorry for not updating last night. By the time company left I was ready for bed! And I'm moving slow so far today!  ;D

Total time: 21 hours 50 minutes to hit an IT on 190 degs. Warped in foil on the counter for about an hour and pulled most of it and we ate. It was moist, delicious and fell into three pieces just trying to move it to a platter for pulling.

And now the proof:

Let's eat: