New SSBS!

Started by jhurlbur, June 14, 2005, 07:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eightball

Thanks Oldman, I visited the link and JJC has laid some heavy stuff in htere. Invaluable to say the least. Now didnt that pastrami sandwich look like it belonged in a deli in downtown NYC. Jeez that was a great pic.
Jay[8]

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by eightball</i>
<br />
I still havent been able to find any tenderquick in South Louisiana anywheres. But I am still trying.
Jay[8]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If you want to use Morton's Tenderquick, check out this recipe http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1754 . Dry curing is better for me, because of the refrigerator space. If your local Walmart doesn't have it your can get it online from here http://www.alliedkenco.com/cure.htm . Look at the top of the left column and click on Morton Surgar Cures. I use the Morton Tenderquick (first one listed), and not their sugar cures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JJC

dammit. . . another midnight snakc coming up after seeing those pastrami pix . . . [:D]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Bad Flynch

Jay,
One can buy Morton's TQ at nearly any large supermarket in my area. Sometimes it is in the section with the canning and preserving supplies. (Eastern OK). You can also order it directly from Morton's Salt Co http://www.mortonsalt.com/ . The concentrations of nitrite and nitrate in TQ and the Plain Sugar Cure are the same, it's the other stuff that varies. The smoke flavored Sugar Cure is made for dry curing only. Both TQ and Sugar Cure can be used as brines or for dry curing. Morton's book on butchering and preserving meat has a lot of good information in it and is cheap. Some recipes on the website. Lots of good stuff available from The Sausagemaker, too. www.sausagemaker.com . I have dealt with them for over 30 years. They have most stuff and Rytek Kutas' great book.

B.F.
B.F.

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Phone Guy

I looked high and low for Morton's TQ in and around Redding CA. I found only one place that had it, a feed store near Anderson. I guess there isn't a big demand for it. I bought two bags but maybe I should pick up more.

MallardWacker

Guy,

What ever you do don't buy direct from Morton, the shipping is down right STUPID.

However, do go to Butcher-Packer.  They have it along with other favorites of mine.  They are very reasonalbe. CLICK HERE&gt;&gt;&gt;Butcher-Packer

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

HS I missed your recipe I will add it to the site soon...Thanks.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!