New SSBS!

Started by jhurlbur, June 14, 2005, 07:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhurlbur

Hi Folks, been lurking here for some time and finally got a new SSBS a couple of weeks ago. Have done chicken legs, spareribs and a home cured pastrami and all have turned out awesome, thanks to all the great info on this forum.

Here is my Pastrami before and after smoking.  All who tried it said it was the best pastrami they have ever had.  Sure beats anything you can buy at the store!

[:D][:D]

Phone Guy

jhurlbur,
Welcome. I can't see the pics here but I will try at home. Did you already have a Pastrami and simply smoked it? Can you tell us how you smoked it?

MallardWacker

J,

Lookin good bud.  Dang, fill us in on the details.  Don't leave that nice rosey colored piece of beef to yourself.

Welcome to the forum.....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

jhurlbur

I started out with a 6# brisket from Costco, injection pumped it with brine (prague powder #1, salt, sugar, garlic, cloves, bay leaves and juniper berries).  Then left it in the brine for 3 days in the fridge at 38 degrees.

Rubbed it with a mixture of course ground pepper, ground coriander and course ground juniper berries then smoked it at 200 degrees for approx 9 hours (3 hours of pecan smoke) until the internal temp was 180. FTC with a little apple juice for 3 hours.

Sliced it paper thin with a mandoline, put a big stack of it on rye bread with mustard and a sour pickle on the side...mmmm heaven[:p][:D]

nsxbill

More specifics!

Looks great!

What were the proportions on the ingredients that used in your brine.  Was it just a little bit of this and a little bit of that, or did use a measuring spoon to control quantities?

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

Yeah! I have to agree homemade pastrami is great. I did some, but I dry cured mine with Morton's Quicktender. I was surprised how easy it is to make.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

Sliced it paper thin with a mandoline, put a big stack of it on rye bread with mustard and a sour pickle on the side...mmmm heaven[:p][:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'd want sum of dat...

Yes, Please be more specific with the brine.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Oldman

John Welcome to the group.

If you would like to have your pastrami recipe added to our recipe site then go here http://www.susanminor.org  There is an open posting board there at the top of the site and you can post it there. You may also upload pictures directly into the recipe posting. If you do add images please read the sticky concerning adding pictures.

Try to be as detailed as you can. i.e. The amount of each item, cooking times, and type of wood used. It will then be edited to fit our format and then place into the correct catagroy.

Again welcome to this place and we are all looking forward to getting to know you!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

jhurlbur

Thanks for the Welcome folks!  I've been smoking for years on a Lil Chief and then a Brinkman but always had trouble with temp control on them.  The Bradley is amazing with how little babysitting you have to do with it.

Here is the brine recipe for the Pastrami:

4 quarts of cold water
7 oz salt
3 oz Prague Powder #1 (pink curing salt available online under different names)
3 oz white sugar
6 bay leaves crumbled
2 tsp whole cloves
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp whole juniper berries
2 tbsp whole black peppercorns

Put the bay leaves, cloves , garlic powder, juniper berries and peppercorns in a pot with one pint of water and boil for 3 minutes.  Let it cool. Dissolve the salt, sugar and Prague Powder in the rest of the water in a non reactive container.  Add the cooled spice mixture and brisket. Pump the brisket with 10 percent of its weight with the cure. (this step isn't necessary if you don't have a pump. Just leave it in the fridge for 5 days instead of 3.)  Weigh down the brisket with a plate and a glass jar full of water so it is submerged and refrigerate at 36 to 40 degrees for 3 days.

For the rub:
1/3 cup of course ground pepper
1/3 cup of course ground juniper berries
ΒΌ cup of course ground coriander

Mix and rub it into the brisket.  Smoke with your favorite wood at 200 degrees for  3 hours.  Continue at 200 degrees until internal temp is 180 and FTC for 2 hours with a few ounces of apple juice or water.  Slice very thin and make a sandwich!!

The cure is enough for two 5-7 lb briskets.  If you are doing one brisket just half the cure recipe.

Olds, I'll post it on the recipe site.

John

Here is the result.
[:D]

MallardWacker

j,

You are a great North American[:)].  Holy Schlamolleee that looks simply great.  Thanks for the details!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Oldman

Thanks for adding the recipe.

Either Bill or I will address it soon.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

eightball

I dont always have time to reply to every item on the forum , but i read them eagerly. This pasrtrami looks un resistable. Wheeew.
I still havent been able to find any tenderquick in South Louisiana anywheres. But I am still trying. The Bradley worked great for the Memorial Day weekend and the Brisket was outstanding by comparison to anything aelse I have done. Put it side by side with one from a caterer and no one ate the caterers. GO BS.
Jay[8]

jhurlbur

Jay, your right BS rules![;)]

I used Prague Powder #1 for the pastrami.  Morton tenderquick is different.  Although it would work I think you would need a lot more of it, but I don't know the amount.  You can get Prague Powder #1 at www.butcher-packer.com or any sausage making website.

John

eightball

Thanks for the info, I am kinda new to this forum myself and not familiar with all the terms but I have been trying as many recipes as I can and all fo them are worth the effort as I have experienced. Thanks again,
Jay[8]

Oldman

eightball,

JJC did an outstanding piece on curing and brining. Perhaps you have not seen it yet. If not it sure is worth the reading. I know I learned bunches.
<b><font color="blue">CURING and BRINING -- The Hows and Whys, From JJC</font id="blue"></b>

Olds