Another newbie: Questions after my first smoke

Started by Ants, July 18, 2010, 10:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ants

So I got my OBS Friday and immediately seasoned it.  Then I dry rubbed some ribs and threw them in the refrigerator overnight.  My plan was 3 hours of smoke ( 3 jim bean, 2 hickory, 1 maple, 2 hickory, 1 maple).. then 2 hours additional hours of cooking.

Q: So I am using the thermometer on the cabinet... is that thing accurate?

Saturday: I heat up the OBS @ around 3pm and it literally took 45 mins to get up to 225F.  I live in TX and its already a scorching 95F.  So I couldnt wait any longer b/c my first smoke ended up being an event.  Went from me testing at home to about 12 people over for food!  So i threw 3 racks of BBRs (cut in half) on 3 of the trays then some chicken drumettes on the lowest tray. 

Right off the bat, the OBS dropped to about 100F and stayed there for the next 45 minutes or so.

After about 1.5 hours of smoke the OBS had barely gotten up to about 180F and this had me concerned.  At this rate the ribs wouldnt be ready till 10pm or later.  Regardless I opted to not open the door and continue to let it smoke.  Smoke was done around 7PM and I shut off the smoke generator and open the cabinet.  The chicken looks great the back ones are actually overcooked so I pull the chicken out.  I then baste the ribs with an apple/bbq sauce combo.  Rinse and repeat 2 more times.

At about 830PM I felt the urge to pull out one rack (lowest one) and try them out.  They had great smoky flavor but they were definitely not coming off the bone as well as I'd had liked.  Q: Do BBR shrink up the bone like spares do?  B/c mine didnt shrink at all.  I end up letting the last 2 racks sit in there for another baste (45 mins) and pull them out around 915PM.  I didnt cut them because everyone was full already.

My OBS was under the shade so could that have effected the ability to come up in temp?  I've been reading people smoking with 40F temps though so I figured I shouldnt have any problems in Texas... what gives?

Anyways here is a pic of the finished product:

Ants

StickyDan

In my experience (which is limited), ribs take about 6 or more hours to cook.  The meat should pull from the bone but I've found that this is not always the case.  Having a full load will definitely increase cook time.  It's better to cook early and FTC until dinner time.  I also think it's a good idea to experiment before inviting guests.  This way, you get a feel for how long it takes and you don't have a bunch of hungry/disappointed guests ordering pizza.  Someone will have some more/better info for you soon.  Good luck on the next cook!

KevinG

A lot of people put bricks in the bottom of the smoker to help retain heat. Another thing that helps is to let the food sit out before putting it in the smoker, about 1/2 hour so you aren't going straight from the cold fridge into the smoker. Tenpoint5 put out a great "How to" ribs on the forum here. Take a look

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

SL2010

My first smoke took about six hours it was a hot day here as well . something that i found when hungry takes over is to slice them down and finish them on the grill while basting with sauce this way you are sure that they are cooked completely. Try the 3-2-1 method next time you will see the difference. I learned for these guys on here. i works keep smoking

FLBentRider

The door thermometer will read low if there is food below the level of the probe.

Spare ribs are at least a 6 hour cook, more if there is a large load.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ants

Thanks for the responses guys.  I failed to mention that I had been reading the threads here and also on susanminor.org.

I opted to go with the competition rib making way.  I had to go with Pachanga's method b/c we are both Texans afterall  ;)

FLBentRider: What you say totally makes sense.  Is there a better way of watching the temps on the OBS?  I wanted to smoke a few times before getting the PID.  But now it seems like thats the way to go with the dual probe?

SL2010

Since you are in Texas drive to Lockhart TX and go to Black's they truly got it down to science

TestRocket

Welcome Ants,

About that door thermometer I found mine is 25-30 degs low by checking it in boiling water. It's easy to remove and check. Also you may want to look for a single probe digital oven thermometer (less then $25) and check it in boiling water and use it to monitor your cabinet temp until your ready to by a PID.  Good luck!

Ants

SL: I've been to Blacks... I love BBQ so much I wanted to do it myself!  I've been to all the Lockhart BBQ places (Smitty's Kruez's, Blacks).  I also have been to Louie Mueller's out in Taylor TX.  Of course pretty much all the BBQ places in the Austin area.

TestRocket: So when everyone is saying they keep their OBS around 225.  How are they monitoring that?  With an oven thermometer in the middle of the 4 racks?

TestRocket

From what I've learned here on the forum is to place a probe below the lowest cooking tray and try not to use the bottom one unless you have to. Also, rotate your trays top to bottom and front to back a time or two to help for more even cooking. I just started using the dual probe plug and play PID (love it) and before that I used the Maverick ET-7 and even a cheap digital one like it was talking about. One thing you should do is check whatever probe you use in boiling water so you will have confidence it whatever reading you're getting.

GusRobin

I use the dual probe PID, the dual probe maverick, and the door probe on the OBS. I put the Maverick smoker probe below the lowest rack of meat. (I usually put meat on the 2nd from the top, the top, the 3rd from the top and the bottom - in that order. Unless the size of what I am doing dictates otherwise.) Depending upon the set-up of the meat, the temps will read different. I have kept track and while their will be a difference between them all, I pretty much know what it is and can set the PID temp accordingly. The back is usually hotter then the front so I put the thicker side of the meat towards the rear (cuts down on the need to rotate.). But since I like to peek a lot it is not a big deal to rotate the racks. I bought a pair of neoprene gloves good to 400+F so that makes it easy to grab and rotate. I know, "if you're looking, you ain't cooking" but with the second element it recovers quickly. Besides, then everyone thinks I am working hard at this and not just watching and drinking. ;D ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Ants

TestRocket: The ET-7 seems to be meat probes.  Or does it monitor cabinet temps as well?

Ants

Gus: you're steering me into the world of mods and I was hoping to try avoid that at least till I got a good handle of the stock OBS :)

How much is the 2nd element?

GusRobin

I think the element, wire, and connectors were around $25 ish total. Other put foiled bricks in their smoker to act as a heat sink. I can't really comment too much on the OBS performance because I bought the mod hardware at the same time I ordered the OBS. I received it, seasoned it, did a chicken to make sure it all worked and did the mod. A friend of mine had the OBS for about a year before me and after he saw how mine worked with the mod he made it to his.
Some people bitch about having to do the mod, use a PID etc, but I went in with my eyes open. I figured I would have to get a PID, make the mod, etc. when I was pricing and evaluating smokers. Since I didn't have the money for a Traeger or MAK, to me an OBS with a mod and PID was the next sweet spot. I am more pleased overall then I thought I would be.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TestRocket

Yes the ET-7 has some programmable setting for monitoring the IT of meat. But the way I look at it in its simplest form it's just a temperature probe. Stick it in a piece of meat or hang it under one to measure the cabinet temp. If cabinet temp is all you're looking for something less expense will do the job but I bought the ET-7 to add versatility for when I'm cooking 3 or more things at a time.

As far as the world of mods go I can only say I went there pretty quickly you can see what I did
here.