What % of pork for beef and venison

Started by Phantom Smoker, July 26, 2010, 05:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantom Smoker

What % of pork do you add for beef? and venison? For summer sausage. I was told 70/30 and it has way to greasy for beef.

NePaSmoKer

I dont cut pork into my SS beef chubs. I use 80/20 or in a pinch 75/25 GB.

When i do venison SS or sticks i go with 75/25 GB and have had great results.

I still find it funny that the pork police say you have to use it with venison  :D

Phantom Smoker

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 26, 2010, 06:27:19 PM

I still find it funny that the pork police say you have to use it with venison  :D

Are you saying you use 75% venison and 25% Ground beef or that you use 75/25 gb in your venison? Ifso how much do you add to say 10 pounds of venison? Thanks for the info. Its very helpful.

Tenpoint5

If your planning on doing Brats with your venison I tend to go 50/50 pork to bambi. Otherwise the brats seem to dry out on me.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

QuoteIf your planning on doing Brats with your venison I tend to go 50/50 pork to bambi. Otherwise the brats seem to dry out on me.
When I make venison kielbasa I go 50/50 pork/bambi. For smoked venison sausage I use at least 30% pork and up to 50%.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Phantom Smoker on July 26, 2010, 07:04:27 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 26, 2010, 06:27:19 PM

Are you saying you use 75% venison and 25% Ground beef or that you use 75/25 gb in your venison? Ifso how much do you add to say 10 pounds of venison? Thanks for the info. Its very helpful.

Say i have 10 lbs of venison, i will cut it down to 8.5 lbs and then cut in 1.5 lbs either 80/20 or 75/25 GB. The high number being the beef, lower being fat content. Around here GB is like $1 a lb cheaper than pork. So far i have had no complaints of using GB cut with the venison. Last season i did over 500 lbs, Hunting season is gettin close  ;D

If i have a large amount of venison with cut in and they only want 10-15 lbs i will just vac seal and freeze the rest for the next person...or meself  ;D

Phantom Smoker

Got it. Thanks guys. You have all been alot of help. Ive made alot of stuff sofar in the smoker to get ready for hunting season. Trying to stay ahead.