• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

TestRocket meets TMB (the strategy begins)!

Started by TestRocket, July 31, 2010, 05:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TestRocket

TMB (Tommy) and I have talked a few times on the phone and meet (first time) for lunch yesterday to come up with a game plan for his second competition. With it being a church fund raiser and the rules only eliminating electric smokers (sorry fellow Bradley owners) and ground fires, he should be safe in using his Char-Broil cookers (The Big Easy and SRG). Lunch went well with the conversations fast paced and the subject changing so quickly I think we both suffer from ADHD (well I think I do and he kept up with me). Lunch ended with him giving me a couple of his sauces to taste (very good) and he told me he was camping for the weekend at Sharon Johnston Park which is only 8 miles from our house.

Fast forward to today: I got a text massage from TMB late afternoon that his pork butt was done and he had a turkey breast close to being ready. After some hesitation from being tired from all the running around we did today I decided to go get a taste!  And I'm happy I did! I meet his wife (funny story to come or I'll use it as a bribe?) and I got to taste my first SRG pork butt ever. It was good and moist. Now we only have to decide what sauce (or any) to use in presentation?

TMB tells me he has his ribs down pat so the next thing for us to do is get together again and do a test-cook on his chicken.

My preliminary thoughts are the Big Easy and SRG can hold their own in this contest! Well cooked food taste good in whatever way you cook it. Guessing the taste preference of the judges is the key to winning!

TMB has a taste preference in his sauces that differs from mine so without telling who prefers what flavors we have a question for everyone.

Please feel free to commit on your preferred finishing sauce on pork butt, pork ribs and chicken thighs.

Vinegar based or a sweet sauce are the two most common, or if you have a special sauce that you feel is a winner on one of those meats, we want your option!

Thanks for any advice and we will keep you up to date!

TestRocket and TMB at his campsite today:

Tenpoint5

I'm thinking there be trouble a brewing here. Either the two of you cooking at a comp together or the story about Miss Kim coming out of the shower while you was a settin there!! :o :o
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

You know I tried Hab's vaunted vinegar and it was good, but the secind time I got lazy and just took my fav BBQ sauce and thinned it down with some rice wine vinegar. It was pretty dang good. Maybe that will give you an idea for something.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

First, meeting a Forum member is a fun thing in my Book.

Tommy is a good guy and is passionate about his BE's and SRG's.

Second, He is a really nice guy to send you a text massage.

Quote from: TestRocket on July 31, 2010, 05:56:40 PM
Fast forward to today: I got a text massage from TMB.

How did he do that? That's kewl! ;D ;D :D

If the people that are judging this are "local" people, then you might not

want to go with a sauce too far out of your region.

hal4uk

Starne's Bar-B-Q Sauce is hard to come by unless you live in Paducah, KY, but it's a match made in heaven for pulled pork.  It's very good.
I've tried to duplicate it without any luck.  There's a copycat recipe floating around on the web if you Google it, but don't waste your time...  
It's not even close --- not saying that recipe is "bad" - it just ain't like the real thing.

It's not thick or thin - it's kinda in-between, although vinegar-based (more runny than not), and it has a good kick.
If you can get a bottle - you'll like it.

There's no label on the big bottle in this image, but it's Starne's sauce:
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

hal4uk

You're LOOKING at the last of my stash!
Where's LARRY at?  He's spittin' distance to the SOURCE...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

TMB

Hey guys, meeting TesRocket has me really feeling good about the comp coming up.   He has very good ideas and I look forword to cooking side by side with him.  The only real thing is what he said what type of sauce to use?  Bourbon sauce is killer but at a church comp???  My BBQ sauce is vinegar base and not sure how to go with it.

Any suggestions would be great
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

KyNola

Hal, that's not true.  I can't spit 8 blocks. :)

Tommy, I will be happy to shoot you some Starne's sauce if you want but when is the comp?

The stuff is killer good.  Vinegar and pepper based.

There's a BBQ joint in New Orleans.  Sitting on every table is Starne's sauce because the guy who owns the place is from Paducah KY and made the mistake of ordering a couple bottles for "special" customers.  Now, it's on every table. True story.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: TMB on August 01, 2010, 11:45:25 AM
Hey guys, meeting TesRocket has me really feeling good about the comp coming up.   He has very good ideas and I look forword to cooking side by side with him.  The only real thing is what he said what type of sauce to use?  Bourbon sauce is killer but at a church comp???  My BBQ sauce is vinegar base and not sure how to go with it.

Any suggestions would be great

If it is a Baptist Church, the Burbon Sauce might be well received.  :o

Just rename it "Secrect Sauce"  8)  ;)

TMB

Quote from: KyNola on August 01, 2010, 12:51:49 PM

Tommy, I will be happy to shoot you some Starne's sauce if you want but when is the comp?

The stuff is killer good.  Vinegar and pepper based.

There's a BBQ joint in New Orleans.  Sitting on every table is Starne's sauce because the guy who owns the place is from Paducah KY and made the mistake of ordering a couple bottles for "special" customers.  Now, it's on every table. True story.
The comp is Aug 28.  I will be there Fri the 27th getting ready.   Should be a fun time had by all and if I can  place kinda high then I'll consider it a win.   Just send me you idea's

TestRocket

Quote from: classicrockgriller on August 01, 2010, 01:28:52 PM
If it is a Baptist Church, the Burbon Sauce might be well received.  :o
Just rename it "Secrect Sauce"  8)  ;)

Funny! That's the same thing I told TMB at lunch on Friday. But after tasting it I think it needs to be a bit sweeter! IMO, but I never won nothin but a dozen doughnuts!

classicrockgriller

What is the Rub you are using?

Are you injecting the Pig?

TMB

I'm using Byron's Bad Butt rub and not sure if I need to inject, the butt will stay moist as it is.

Now Tenpoint5 gave me some info on injection and I will make 1 or 2 of them that way and judge them to see which one to turn in for judging.  With TestRockets help I think I mave have a good chance at placing high in the comp. 

Quarlow

Tommy just an observation on the last butt I did. I injected it with CT sauce and slathered it and then put Jan's rub on it, but inside when I was pulling it I had pockets of CT where the it was injected. I was fine with it as it got spread around on pulling, but I thought that I might inject it and then kind of massage it and repeat. When I ate some just by it's self I would get the odd piece that was very flavour with the sauce. I maybe need to put less in each spot and just inject in more spots. But this is just food for a thought if you go to injecting. And maybe someone can straighten me out on what I did wrong or could do different.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.