The perfect wing!

Started by StickyDan, August 01, 2010, 12:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickyDan

The wife and I where invited to some friends yesterday for a BBQ/pool party.  I decided to smoke some wings to bring with me.  I had a busy day so I didn't have much time to make a rub.  I had a bit of left over Memphis Blues Rub and a lot of the Texas Brisket rub (see recipes below).  The MB is sort of a well rounded rub while the TB is very hot.  I put the wings in a ziplock bag and added apprx a 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup of canola oil, the left over MB rub (probably less than a 1/4 cup) and about the same amount of TB rub.  I mixed it all up and let the bag sit on the counter for about 45 min while the BDS pre-heated to the max temp setting.  Put the wings on the racks and into the smoker with mesquite.  Rotated the racks at the 45min mark and again after another 45 min.  I left them in for about another 10-15 min and turned off the heat while we got ready (they where cooked at this point). Once cooled, I put them into a ziplock bag and brought them to the party.  The host served burgers, hot dogs and other snacks so we decided to save the wings for a late night snack.  At about midnight we fired up the grill to reheat the wings and crisp them up.   I've never seen wings move so fast.  They where almost flying!  Everyone absolutely loved them and said they where the best wings they'd ever had.  I tried a few and I've got to admit, they where perfect.  The seasoning from the rub was perfectly matched with the mesquite and they where still juicy.  The only thing wrong with these wings was that I didn't make enough.  Stupid me, I forgot to take pictures but that's ok because those wings will live on forever in the memories of those that where lucky enough to eat them.
Cheers!

Memphis Blues All Purpose Dry Rub
Ingredients:
1 cup (250 ml) dried parsley
1 cup (250 ml) sugar
1 cup (250 ml) Lawry's Seasoned Salt
3 Tbsp (45 ml) ground black pepper
3 Tbsp (45 ml) garlic powder
3 Tbsp (45 ml) onion powder
3 Tbsp (45 ml) dried oregano
3 Tbsp (45 ml) sweet paprika
1 Tbsp (15 ml) mild mustard powder (* Do NOT use Keen's)
1 Tbsp (15 ml) celery salt
pinch cayenne pepper

Texas-Style Brisket Rub
NOTE: This recipe is sufficient for a 10-12 lb./4.5-5.4 kg beef brisket.

Mix together thoroughly the following:

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup Kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cumin
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup fresh cracked black pepper
2 Tbsp cayenne pepper

KyNola

Nice work Dan.  Jan's Rub and CT are also great on wings.

classicrockgriller

They do "Sound" good.

And if Everybody liked them, then that is a winner.

TestRocket

Hey Dan, I'm glad to here the wings were that good and it must have been a good party to still be cooking and midnight! I booked marked this so the next time I do wings I'll be sure to reread this! Thanks!

squirtthecat

Smoking Rebel

This sounds good! I'm heading out to the store in the morning and buying some wings.