Deer Rump Roast

Started by wkahler, August 03, 2010, 08:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkahler

???  ??? Can i make jerky out of the left over rump roast i have in the freezer??  I need to us it before i start hunting this year!!!  If so how should i slice it, I was going to cut it in strips............Like if the meat is laying on the cutting board, cut it up and down not through it, does that make since?!?!?  Let me know guys!!  ???  ???
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

classicrockgriller

I made some this last year.

I sectioned out the different muscles and cut cross grain.

But I probably did it wrong. ;D

wkahler

How did it taste?  Was it tough or to chewy?

classicrockgriller

Actually I cut some with the meat grain and some against.

They were both chewy like jerky, but not too bad.

My Son's loved it, I just don't have the patience to chew that long.

I use to swallow my bubble gum. ;D

wkahler

I was mainly concerned about the chewiness of it!!
Quote from: classicrockgriller on August 03, 2010, 09:36:00 AM
Actually I cut some with the meat grain and some against.

They were both chewy like jerky, but not too bad.

My Son's loved it, I just don't have the patience to chew that long.

I use to swallow my bubble gum. ;D

BigJohnT

Here is my buddies secret deer jerky recipe

http://gnipsel.com/recipes/jerky/venison-jerky.html

for easy to chew cut across the grain.

John

wkahler

Going to have to do some adjustments to that recipe size!!! LOL

Quote from: BigJohnT on August 03, 2010, 10:33:25 AM
Here is my buddies secret deer jerky recipe

http://gnipsel.com/recipes/jerky/venison-jerky.html

for easy to chew cut across the grain.

John

RAF128

You can make jerky out of any whole muscle meat and that rump would be great.    If you cut it across the grain it can get brittle.   I always cut with the grain.  CRG has the right idea about seperating the different muscle groups before you slice.   I slice mine about ¼" thick.   The secret for a good jerky is the spices and cure.   Some use dry spices, other use a brine.   It's a matter of personal preferrence.
Jerky is supposed to be tough and chewing.    Good luck.

mow_delon

If you don't want it chewy, take it off the smoker or dehydrator sooner.

bundy

My recipe is about like that one, but I put an hour of heavy hickory smoke to it, then an hour off at 150* then pop into the dehydrator until then bend method. I cut the more tough meat cross grain and the more tender with the grain.
Just my 2 cents.

marauder11

Just made some this weekend.  The stuff i did this weekend i ground up mixed in the cure and spices. I know why did you grind up a roast. Never tried this way before and wanted to try it. After i mixed it all up i put some plastic wrap down in a pan about 3 inches deep. I placed the mix in the pan and cover up with the wrap. I froze it till it was good and firm.   I then removed from the pan by pulling on the wrap and sliced it a 1/4 inch thick. Put it in the Bradley for about 22 hours with the vent open on the top , door spaced open about a 1/4 inch and a fan pulling air out the top. Worked good. I used Ryteks hot pepper recipe.

mow_delon

22 hours?  I would think that you would end up with leather if cooked that long.  When I use that method, I smoke for 2 hrs at 225-250 and then put on dehydrator for like an hour and it is done.  22 hours seems unusually long.  Would like to see pictures of that.

marauder11

It would be long if i had it a 225. I had Bradley turned down to  as low as it goes 120. The vent open and door cracked with fan pulling air through. My temp stayed around 90 and probably  dropped over night a bit. I will take a picture next batch we ate this one already at work with no leathery complaints.

mow_delon

Got ya. Never thought about using the Bradley like a dehydrator.  Sounds like a good idea.

RAF128

The bradley is nice for jerky 'cause you can put some smoke flavour on the jerky.   I run it at about 150 with the vent wide open.    When I do jerky in the dehydrator I add liquid smoke for the flavour and run the dehydrator on the highest temp which happens to be 150º.  I know my dehydrator and have learned with time that it takes about 4 hrs.    In the smoker it's a little slower and there I have to keep an eye on so it doesn't get over done.