• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hillbilly Bacon or Ham? Who cares!

Started by Foam Steak, June 17, 2005, 11:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foam Steak

After reading about Hillbilly Bacon I thought I would try some of my own.  I sliced some slabs off a pork butt tryting to make them roughly bacon thickness.  Rubbed them with a mixture of 1lb Salt and 2oz of curing salt.  I didnt use the whole batch of salt just enought to rub into all sides of the slabs.  Then I put them in a big tupperware container and drizzled them with honey.  After a few days it looked like the slabs had become fully candified.  Nice and pink all the way through.  I rinsed and soaked the slabs until all the honey and salt was removed.  Then I smoked them at about 150+ until the internal temp was about 127.  

The result is really good.  Not to salty or sweet.  Not sure if it tastes more like bacon or ham but it doesnt really matter because it is disapearing from the refrigerator at an alarming rate! [:D]

On a side note, I have had my Bradley for about a month and a half and have smoked 10 chickens, 2 slabs of ribs, 5 lbs of hillbilly bacon, two 8 tray full loads of mackerel and bluefish and 10 lbs of homemade keilbassi.  What next?

nsxbill

Let your imagination run free. I would try pork butt or shoulder and do some pulled pork sandwiches.  If pork not on your menu, try some smoked turkey legs and then shred them.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

Well may I suggest onions! Two hours only. 225F or abouts. Use them in anything you were you add onions to the cook.

May I suggest that some of the pickins' from the chickens be added to your next egg salad. Give it a day in the frig.

How about ABTs? Or bacon wrapped chicken breast. What about a Double Smoked Ham? There are some good recipes on our recipe site.

http://www.susanminor.org

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Remington

If you really want to make a crowd pleaser, try some pulled pork. Put it over rice or on bread with dark mustard and banana peppers and you and your guest will be in heaven. You can find recipes on this site.

Remington

psdubl07

Ditto on the ABTs.

Another one of my new favorites is Jerk chicken.  Buy a value pack of thighs and rub with Walkerswood or Busha Browne's Jerk marinade/rub a few hours before smoking.  Smoke w/ Pecan for 2 hours and either crank the heat up or put in a hot oven for a bit to crisp up the skin.
[:p][:p][:p]

MallardWacker

Steak of Foam,

I do know what you mean about the ham taste.  Another reason I use loin AND I smoke it to a higher internal temp so I can eat it without having to cook it again.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Foam Steak

I think the "ham/bacon" is getting better every day.  My wife loves it and has informed me I must make it again before we run out.  I have a few small loins from a wild pig I killed.  I am thinking about trying the same recipe but making sort of a canadian bacon this time.

This smoker is too much fun!

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I think the "ham/bacon" is getting better every day.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You are right on the money. Next time you are going to do a ham try a Double Smoked Ham.

T-Shirt Double Smoked Ham

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Remington</i>
<br />If you really want to make a crowd pleaser, try some pulled pork. Put it over rice or on bread with dark mustard and banana peppers and you and your guest will be in heaven. You can find recipes on this site.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

(this is written as humor or a sad attempt at it)O.K. we must draw a line somewhere BBQ is never served on rice, is it?
I know some of us like slaw on our Q and some don't but rice?
Really goes to show the diversity and regional recipes we have going here[:D].

On a serious note smoke a big 'ole hunk of bologna.  Let it sit wrapped in the fridge for a day for the smoke to soak in or come to think of it Olds' t-shirt method would work well here too I believe.  Slice fry and eat on white bread with mayo and black pepper(hows that for redneck).  And don't forget to throw in a few peeled boiled eggs for an hour or 2 max next time your smokin' something for some dandy deviled eggs.  Just prepare as usual but mince up 2 of the smoked eggs(the whole thing)with the other yellows.  Quite a treat.  Not smokey enough add more smoked eggs[:D]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.