• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Replaced Front Control Panel and Now My Smoker Won't Work.

Started by Chaostrophy, August 07, 2010, 07:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaostrophy

Hi,

I Bradley sent me a new front panel because the plastic was cracking. I pulled the old one off and plugged all the connections together and now when I plug it into the outlet the power indicator light comes on no matter which position I have the slider in and I the heating element is not heating. What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Thanks,
Greg

classicrockgriller

Wish I could tell something simple as a fix, but I can't.

Sounds like a wire is not in the right place.

If it will help, I will take some pics of mine so you can see if you are wired up right.

Chaostrophy

Hey Classicrockgriller,

if it wouldn't be too much trouble that would help a lot. I figured I had my wires crossed somewhere. Just haven't been able to get the right combination down.

THanks,
Greg

Habanero Smoker

Here is a link to the wiring. Click on the first picture to enlarge it.

OBS Temperature Control Wiring

The double wire goes to the vertical terminal post, and the single wire goes to the horizontal terminal post.

PS
I made a similiar mistake some time ago, now I take a picture of the wiring prior to disconnecting the wires, and I also draw a diagram.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

Thanks Habs. You have all them neat links in your bag.

Chaostrophy

Hi Habs,

Thanks for the link. I had the leads plugged in exactly the way the are shown and I even tried reattaching them. I am still having the same problem. I don't know what it could be. I'm not really electrically inclined. Any ideas?

Greg

Quarlow

Best thing now Chaostrophy(love that name by the way) is to give Bradley a call on monday and talk to Brian, he will have you check things out and nail down your problem.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

That's odd that the indicator light would work and not the element. It must be a faulty circuit board.

CRG;
I posted that picture some time ago, so I knew exactly were it was located.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Chaostrophy

Yeah, I hoping top take care of it without having to call Bradley. Fortunately I was cold smoking this past weekend and didn't need the heating element to be working. I'll give them a call whe I get home from work and will report back when we figure out what the problem is.

Thanks for your help.

Habanero Smoker

Definately let us know what the problem is, and the fix.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

TestRocket

Chaostrophy

TestRocket, thanks for posting the pic. That's exactly how mine is set up.

But I spoke with the folks at Bradley this evening and they think that the problem was caused by the heating element shorting out, which caused the slider to short out as well. At any rate they are sending me both a new heating element and a new front control panel. I really must say the customer service for Bradley is fantastic. I am glad to see that they stand behind their products. Excellent work.

Greg

TestRocket

I'm glad it helped and Yep! Bradley will take care of you. I hope your back smoking soon!

Chaostrophy

Well, I received all the parts in the mail on Friday and installed them this morning. I still have the same problem. I will be calling Bradley again tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully we can figure this thing out.

classicrockgriller

Geez! Sorry to hear this. Brian won't stop helping till you are up and running.