• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Jerky

Started by Uncle Pigfat, August 08, 2010, 10:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Pigfat

Doing my first jerky.  I had to cut it sort of thick (half inch) and had some weird pieces that are thicker and lumpier since I don't have a slicer and didn't have the time needed to freeze the beef a little.  I used London Broil (give or take 3 lbs) and the basic jerky recipe from sausagemaker.com with some garlic and a couple pinches of cayenne.  Nothing flashy for the first time out.

into the fridge for 24 hours - flipped over every 8 hours

dripping before hitting the smoker.  Going with an hour and forty minutes of hickory:

I anticipate a long drying process.  I put the weird thicker pieces on the same rack and kept the more uniform pieces on another.  I figure I'll let it go a little longer than I would if I had more consistent pieces before flipping racks.  I'll still rotate regularly.  How long do you guys go between rack movements?

Quarlow

1 1/2 to 2 hrs. I would put the thicker pieces under the other racks so as to get more heat on them. May be even just front to back it the first time and leave it lower, then see how it is going. You will be able to tell how it is drying as you go, it is pretty obvious, you'll see. But take your time, keep the heat lower instead of higher so as not to dry it to paper. I had the bad habit of putting my heat to full and turning the jerky into over cooked bacon.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Uncle Pigfat

thanks.  I'm realizing this process is just long and not in need of a plan.  Let the box go through it's temp swings and rotate around.  Rinse and repeat.  It's starting to look and smell like jerky in there.  Everything is still soft but starting to show some dryness around the edges.  If Bradley is teaching me anything it's patience.

Quarlow

That's the ticket for sure. Good luck.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Uncle Pigfat

1am, Monday morning, and I have my first taste of jerky. So good. Quarter inch slices will be the way to go next time.

Quarlow

Looks like some tasty stuff. glad it worked for you.

OBS
BBQ

josbocc

Uncle,

If you don't want to do Ground Beef jerky, and haven't got a slicer yet, your best bet is to do the quick freeze to get your pieces to a uniform thickness.  There is also another method, which is a jerky slicer (which I believe might be available from LEM products).  It is a board with a guide above it, over which you run a sharp knife to get a uniform thickness.

Loos like the forum members have you pointed in the right direction, and it also looks like you did just fine for your first effort.  Keep plugging away, and enjoy the fruits of your labor  ;D

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

FLBentRider

I've found I can do the nuggets without having to partially freeze the meat.

It also speeds up the seasoning process.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Uncle Pigfat

Uniform slicing was rather easy with a ceramic knife. The problem was the first London Broil was huge and had some weird fat resulting in a few strange pieces. Everything came out really evenly dried and really good. I'm looking forward to the next round of jerky. Maybe Santa will bring me a slicer this year, especially since the Santa I know goes ape poop for jerky. :)

azamuner73

For muscle jerky it's cake it you freeze it until firm and use a meat slicer.  I bought one from Sears for about a $100....worth it for sure.

Your jerky looks good abeit a bit thick.  Going down to a 1/4 inch would be a great idea.
But hey, you can eat your mistakes and they taste good!  :)

NePaSmoKer

I found freezing and a slicer is more of a pain in the a$$. I just use my knife, takes longer but worth it.

azamuner73

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 11, 2010, 06:51:42 PM
I found freezing and a slicer is more of a pain in the a$$. I just use my knife, takes longer but worth it.

Then you probably have better knives and knife skills than me.   :D

BigJohnT

Quote from: azamuner73 on August 12, 2010, 08:11:44 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 11, 2010, 06:51:42 PM

Then you probably have better knives and knife skills than me.   :D

Practice Practice Practice...

JT

Uncle Pigfat

with my smaller London Broils, uniform cuts were no problem since the only fat I had to trim was the ring on the outside. I used a plastic ruler for the first couple slices until I could eyeball it.  The ceramic knife I used glided right through the meat so it cut easy.