Spare Rib Fiasco....or not

Started by DTAggie, August 09, 2010, 08:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTAggie

Cut out of work early and came to smoke a slab of spare ribs.  Removed the membrane and lightly applied the rub I use for brisket.  Threw in some pistachios soaked in Butler;s Gold and Frank's Hot Sauce.  Put them in at 3:10 with 4 hrs of Oak at 230*.  About two hours I remembered it was my night to help out in the computer lab at the homeless shelter here in our county.

I gave wife the following instructions:  at 7:30 take nuts out and ribs out. Spritz ribs with AJ and wrap in foil and put back in OBS, lower temp controller just a tad.  Was hoping they would be ok when I got back at 9:10.  When I got in, temp said 180*.  Ribs looked ok.  Meat had pulled back from the bone.  I took out of foil, which was more of a boat then a wrap, applied some Head Country to one half and Sweet Baby Rays, and placed back in for 30 minutes at 230*.

Surprisingly they were great.  Think I will use this rub again on some BBs and see how it goes.  Son had 4 wisdom teeth pulled last Tuesday and tonight was first real food he could eat.  He ate all but the two I ate.  Nuts are dang spic and smoky good.

StickyDan

Nice work!  I'm sure your son appreciated "real" food.

DTAggie

Yep he was not happy the other night when I made the chicken I posted and he could not eat

classicrockgriller

Ribs look great Tito!

Better watch out, Wifie will be running your Smoker!

DTAggie

Oh she would run it for brisket, chicken or turkey.  Hates ribs and sausage.  If you could have seen how she supposedly wrapped them in foil!

classicrockgriller

That's kewl that she can help if need be.

Mine couldn't pull the pull If I ask her.

DTAggie

But she can throw a pizza right?

classicrockgriller

She made Pizzas this morning and I ask her what kind.

She said what are my choices. Thank God for the Bradley.

DTAggie

When you going to show some pics of those pizzas?  I am beginning to wonder if they are real. ;D

SnellySmokesEm

DT I just picked up some Butler's gold when I was out in TX in june.  That stuff is killer.  I just opened my last bottle last weekend for the WV family to try.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

classicrockgriller

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on August 10, 2010, 06:39:04 AM
DT I just picked up some Butler's gold when I was out in TX in june.  That stuff is killer.  I just opened my last bottle last weekend for the WV family to try.

Butlers is very good.

beefmann

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

ArnieM

Looks great Tito.  It was nice of your wife to help even though she didn't care for the fare.  I'll bet your son couldn't wait to dig in!

CRG:  C'mon, let's see some pizza pics  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DTAggie

Look what you did CRG, the nickname is already sticking.