I need a second smoker!

Started by Smokeville, August 14, 2010, 11:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

It was a fun experiment to try and it worked out great.

I can see it working even better with fishies.

watchdog56

That all looked great. I would like to add a se3cond element to mine but when it comes to electricity I know nothing ??? I know there is a step by step guide but I could not tell a difference between a relay or resistor. One area I never took an interest in. I can do most anything else but afraid to try electricity.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: watchdog56 on August 16, 2010, 12:50:06 PM
That all looked great. I would like to add a se3cond element to mine but when it comes to electricity I know nothing ??? I know there is a step by step guide but I could not tell a difference between a relay or resistor. One area I never took an interest in. I can do most anything else but afraid to try electricity.

You have a room full of people here that will help you step by step and even assist you over the phone.

I know this for a fact cause people here have helped me on several occasions. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

When you get ready, we will help you!

TestRocket

I'll second what CRG said! Getting help is the easy part! Because of all the help I have received I'm happy to offer help wherever I can (and I'm not alone). If your comfortable using a screwdriver, drill, crimping tool (or pliers) and either a file, bench grinder (or both) adding the second element is more of a mechanical issue then it is an electrical one even if you add the switch to the front panel.

Here is my post of what I did and on the second page of this link I give credit (and links) to the threads that were most helpful to me!

Help is but a question away, and so is a "phone-a-friend"!

Good luck!

Smokeville

Well, I bought the 6 rack. I went to Le Baron in Mississauga and they were having a no-sales-tax sale, so I got it for $429! (They also sell bisquettes for $14.99).

This model sure is different. After seasoning, I smoked some salmon using Kummock's 3-stage method. Very difficult to control the temperature. My first setting was 120F and the smoker gauge went to 140F or so. On the other hand, my Maverick dangled inside the box and said about 118-123F. The problem is the second stage temp is supposed to be 140F and the box thought it was already there. At this point confusion began to reign supreme.

The salmon turned out fine.

Is a PID the only answer?

Thanks, Rich

classicrockgriller

The PID will keep you dialed it to temps +-1 to 2*.

They are automatic like listening to wifes chatter.

Congrats on the six rack. I love mine.

Smokeville

Well, yesterday I smoked 2 8lb picnics. What was really great was being able to space them apart instead of having them crammed in.