• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Books or Magazines

Started by KurtI, June 20, 2005, 03:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KurtI

I am interested is subscribing  to a magazine that is all about smoking and BBQing.  Any good ones out there.  Thanks for the help.

Organ donation Saves Lives

BigSmoker

I have for some time now wanted to do just this thing.  Publish a magazine dedicated to Que'ing and smokin'.  I even have an article or two written for just such a magazine.  Just don't have the time right now to get it done.  There is a magazine out there but I can not remember the name.  It does Q and beverages.  I know some of the folks that frequent the BGE forum subscribe so u could ask their. I will if I get a chance.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

whitetailfan

<font size="4"><font color="red">GQ</font id="red"></font id="size4">
Comes from <font color="red">G</font id="red">ee, <font color="red">Q</font id="red"> would sure taste good right now[:p][:p][:p][:D]

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

eightball

I think yoiu are refering to Barbeque and Beverage Magazine. I used to pick up a copy at the Barnes and Noble store here, however thee hasn't been a new issue in a couple of months and their web site is still posting the 2 month old issue as the current issue.
Somethings going on there, or not, butit doesn't look good. Shame cause I used to look forward to it every month.
That's all I know about it.
Jay[8]

BigSmoker

I believe that is the name of the magazine.  Thanks.  Sorry to hear they are not doing well.  My biggest holdback is having the time to contact all the companies for advertising.  Next biggest problem is I don't have a clue how to go about getting them distributed to the book stores or how many should be printed?  A couple of other sites do newsletters but as far as I know there is no other official BBQ magazine.  It's really to bad as BBQ and smokin' are one of the fastest growing recreational activities[:(].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

psdubl07

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br /><font size="4"><font color="red">GQ</font id="red"></font id="size4">
Comes from <font color="red">G</font id="red">ee, <font color="red">Q</font id="red"> would sure taste good right now[:p][:p][:p][:D]

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

LMAO.....nice one WTF.  [:D]

I seem to remember in Smoke & Spice there are a handful of publications they tell you how to subscribe to.  Not really a magazine, more local flavors prob, but may be worth it.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I don't have a clue how to go about getting them distributed to the book stores or how many should be printed? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

One of my accounts is a reverse phone center. There main stay is selling mags. I have forgotton just how many hunreds of thousands of piece of mail they send out per week or better. From those mailings people call in. The facility is just short of 200,000 sf. At one time they were the largest private employer in the Tampa Bay area.

Now they are owned by a large group of publishers. I would think if you had the correct material, and could maintain a flow of sound material that you might approach a publisher. If accepted, they would certainly handle all of the things you are concerned about.

OR

You might consider submitting something to a regular food mag. Or what about a fishing mag? A hunting mag? I would think that there are many regular folks, fishing folks and hunting folks that would enjoy an article about smokin' that is geared towards their taste.

If I was to do something this is where I would start. I would get myself a name. Work a deal with the publisher to add a small by-line. Sometimes along the lines of: To reach BigSmoker visit his web-site @ BigSmoker.com Opps guess just what happened. The publisher is now marketing you. Put up a web site and post board. Build a followingg of folk from all walks of life. Then you can begin to publish your own success mag.

Jeff, I just bet if you put your mind to it you could put out 3 good articles per month. Start out with Short-shorts. 250 word max. Offer it to the publisher at no cost.  They will want certain copyrights. That will be between you and them. Ask the publisher what is the next theme for his mag and then write your short geared to that theme. The important thing is you want a nice by-line.

A couple of years down the road and you will have a good data base to work with.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

One more thought. If I was to do this I would own every type of smoker there is. Every type of grill. I would only submit my stuff to upper scale mag. Once you got going and the publisher trusted you then you could do something on that Guru Rapor Bill uses. You ever see the prices of items in an up scale saltwater mag? Hell $600.00 is not even pocket change to those folks. But I bet that out there in salt water land there are many folks who would just go wow over an article like that.

You can do this.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br /><font size="4"><font color="red">GQ</font id="red"></font id="size4">

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Funny!![:D][:D]