• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

pulled pork for 75

Started by seeright, June 20, 2005, 02:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seeright

Just got my BS.  Smoked some baby backs and a brisket with excellent results.  Having a small party in two weeks and would like to precook butts and have them ready for about 75 hungry people. I figure about 4 to 6 butts.  I've read on this forum about finishing in the oven.  Has anyone tried four hours of smoke in the BS and then everything in the oven uncovered at 225 degrees until internal temperature of 190 degrees?

owrstrich

someone around these parts smokes... shreds... stirs in some magic sauce... seals and refrigerates until grubb time... then warms in a crock pot... man o man... the best pulled pork i have ever had...

if i were going to do pulled pork for 75... i would use this sssssrcp method...

yous gotts to eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Chez Bubba

Seeright,

You can only do 4, 5-6# butts per smoke. Even if you get some low-profile 8's, that's only 32# raw which will translate into approx. 24# cooked. Personally, I'd plan on 1/2# per person unless you're smokin' up a lot of other meaty treats.

For Indy this year, we did 8 smokes ahead of time, 4 butts at a time per smoker. Pulled it, sauced it using S&S' Vaunted Vinegar recipe, 1 cup per butt. Vacu-sucked it & froze the packages. On feedin' day, we slowly warmed the sealed packages in the microwave, then dumped it in a crock pot.

You have to be careful that you don't let it dry out in the crock pot as it will concentrate the vinegar flavor. Adding dashes of beer helped keep it moist & the right flavor.

HTH, good luck with the party![:)]

Hey owstrich, any of that care package make it back to CA?[;)][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

Welcome, Dale!  Listen to Chez--he knows about smokin' meat for large numbers of people!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA