• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Lean vs. Fatty

Started by thejennelles, June 20, 2005, 08:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejennelles

I was wondering if there is any difference in smoke absorbtion between a lean cut of meat and non lean(new smoker here).  I know with grilling more fat = more flavor a lot of times but many folks on the forum are speaking of lean cuts to smoke.  My gut feeling is that a more fatty meat will absorb more smoke than a more dense,lean cut.  Any feedback appreciated.

Oldman

Well I never thought about it that way. However, on a lean piece of meat many of use will add strips of bacon to the next higher self. This helps with keeping the lean piece moist.

Now here is the bonus, but it cost a little. At two hours pull and replace that bacon with new. At fours hours pull the second batch. Now in the morning just finish them up in the frying pan. You will think you have died and gone to bacon heaven.  Now the cost is heat loss when you open the door. But it is so well worth it.

Now as to fat on the meat I've learned that a heavy layer will keep the meat for getting a smoked flavor.

There are better minds here than mine and I sure one of them will directly address your question.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />
Now here is the bonus, but it cost a little. At two hours pull and replace that bacon with new. At fours hours pull the second batch. Now in the morning just finish them up in the frying pan. You will think you have died and gone to bacon heaven.  <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I have not tried this, I usually leave that bacon in till the end. I knew I was doing something wrong![:p]