• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

low heat?

Started by dAWGS, August 23, 2010, 09:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dAWGS

well i finally tried my first smoke.  2 whole chickens about 5 lbs each.  used 2 1/2 hours of smoke for a total cooking time of about 4 1/2 hours.   the problem was that the highest temp the smoker got to was about 200-210   why is that?   can i get it higher?

by the way the chicken was excellent

FLBentRider

The temp should get higher than that.

Two questions:

1. Vent position ?

2. Where how were you measuring the temp?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

dAWGS

vent was wide open.    i was using the ET-7    1 probe in the chicken and 1 probe just hanging.    the ET-7 read about 200 and the therm on the smoker read the same.   the element is probably 5 years old.  think its the element?

TestRocket

Maybe heat it up with nothing in it but your temp probes to check out the element?

dAWGS

test i will definately try that.   think i should replace my element?   i just got done reading your "adding a second element"   do you think its worth me doing that?  since you have no temp regulator on the 2nd element how do you regulate the temp?   do you use the 2nd element as primary and the original with the slide switch to regulate?    what temp will you get with just the 2nd element on?

FLBentRider

Quote from: dAWGS on August 23, 2010, 09:56:54 AM
test i will definately try that.   think i should replace my element?   i just got done reading your "adding a second element"   do you think its worth me doing that?  since you have no temp regulator on the 2nd element how do you regulate the temp?   do you use the 2nd element as primary and the original with the slide switch to regulate?    what temp will you get with just the 2nd element on?

It is highly recommended to use a PID with two elements.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

dAWGS

i dont fully understand the concept of a PID      can you explain a little?   what PID unit is recommended?

TestRocket

I made the decision real quick after my first smoke to add the second element. I think it was ribs and I had the same problem with not getting but to about 200-205.

I'm using a PID for control when I run both elements and I wired my second element in with a switch so I could use it without the PID or not.

Before you decide if the element is bad or not, open the vent and heat it up with nothing but the temp probes say in the middle of the 3rd shelf down. Time how long it takes the cabinet to heat up to 250 and if it will go above that (spec  is 280). So don't let it go over that.

You can also check you probes in boiling water to see if they are close to being right but don't let any water run down the wire into the back end.

Let us know what your time and temp turns out to be and we'll go from there!

Good luck.

Sailor

PID stands for proportional–integral–derivative controller.  The Auber dual control will control the cabinet temp and will give you a digital read out of the IT of the meat.  I just got my PID so I am by no means and expert and other will be along shortly to chime in on the PID.

When doing sausage you can set the cabinet temp to 140 for say 2 hrs then ramp it to 150 for 2 hrs then to 160 for 3 hrs until the meat is at 152-155 IT.  I have used the PID for 2 smokes and it kept the cabinet temp spot on for the duration that I had programed.  As some have said....it is like flying a plane on auto-pilot.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

dAWGS

which model do you use?    how is it hooked up to the smoker?

TestRocket

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Habanero Smoker

Here are a couple of links for adding the second element:

Additional Heating Element

For OBS with On/Off Control

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TheBoz

I had a low heat issue on my first smoke too, couldn't get to 200.  My issue was the extension cord.  Plugged straight to the house it went from 180 to 250 on 15min.

TestRocket

Boz,

Good catch! That has been an issue for many in the past!