What is easist for a first time briner?

Started by Grillin and Chillin, June 20, 2005, 11:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grillin and Chillin

I have never brined anything before. Any suggestions for something to start out on? Type of meat, type of solution?

Bad Flynch

I have no idea as to just what cut of meat would be the absolute easiest, but corned beef (US terminology) is very easy. Mix the brine, throw in the meat, and refrigerate for the needed amount of time.

Morton's Salt Co. has an inexpensive book on preserving meat that can help.

B.F.
B.F.

Foam Steak

ChickenChickenChickenChickenChickenChicken.  The best fried chicken is brined before frying.  My wifes secret recipe chicken is allways brined, so is the Colonels.

Bunch of recipes available on the site if you search around.  If you want to just start with a bare bones basic recipe try 1 cup salt, 1/4 sugar and 1 gallon water.  I think that is about as basic bare bones as you can get and really good.  

whitetailfan

One of my favorites dishes, and an easy first time brine, (in fact it's what I used for my first time) is chicken done in hi-mtn game bird brine.  It is a maple flavoured base with cure, so when your meat comes out a bit pink thats OK!
About 24hrs total time if memory serves, and a pouch will easily cover 2 birds which is also a good smoker amount of meat.
I used maple pucks and this bird is <font color="red">delicious</font id="red">!!!

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Grillin and Chillin

Whitetail, where can I get the hi mtn game bird brine? It sounds good. I have ordered some maple pucks.

If this was a whitetail forum, I could pull my own weight, but this smoking, curing is new to me.

Phone Guy

Grillin and Chillin

Well Phone Guy, I am coming to Wyoming in Sept. to bowhunt antelope so maybe I'll get some spices while I am there.

Any good antelope recipies?

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Grillin and Chillin</i>
<br />Well Phone Guy, I am coming to Wyoming in Sept. to bowhunt antelope so maybe I'll get some spices while I am there.

Any good antelope recipies?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well I made some Antelope jerky using some High Mountain spices. Came out great. I will also be in Wyoming in Sept. hunting Antelope. We will be between Rawlins and Laramie, leaving home on the 9/23 and we will be there sometime on the 24th. Last year was my first Wyoming hunt and it was great.

Grillin and Chillin

we will be in the south eastern section of Wyo, somewhere north of Douglas.

Have you tried any other antelope recipies besides jerky?