• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rib time, I can't remember

Started by Phone Guy, June 21, 2005, 12:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phone Guy

I think I must be loosing the only part of my mind that used to work. I have done ribs before but I can't remember how long it takes. The timing is usually not an issue but the in-laws are comming over Wednesday and we want to smoke some baby backs for them. I also have to work Tuesday and Wednesday (unless I start feeling sick on Wednesday afternoon [;)])Should I put the ribs in on tuesday night and out in the morning or put em' in Wed. morning and hope they're done in the afternoon?

Also should I try the Dr. Pepper over night?

nsxbill

I put in the night before, never exceed 210° Cabinet temp, change out the water at four hours, and if not hanging them from brackets, rotate the shelves every 4hours.  I go for 190°-195° meat temp.  If you do my way about 12 hours depending on how much meat in the cabinet.  Always bacon raining from above or draped over ribs to keep them moist.

Response to Dr. Pepper...I use coca cola fountain syrup, but the Dr. would also do a good job in syrup too.  Love the way the sugars carmelize.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

thejennelles

I did the Dr soak this weekend on some baby backs and it turned out fine.  Another option if you can bring yourself to do it is soak in Gin.  Cheapest possible of course.  I usually soak a venison ham over night in Gin before making a pot roast and it unreal how tender it is.  Since all Gin smells like a pine forest, it may make for an interesting combo with smoke.  I may have to experiment with that come to think of it.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Since all Gin smells like a pine forest, it may make for an interesting combo with smoke. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If you can get it may I suggest using Grain Alcohol. It has no flavor and will do what the Gin does. I use to get it at 190 proof. Now by law it has been water down to 151 proof.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

psdubl07

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
If you can get it may I suggest using Grain Alcohol. It has no flavor and will do what the Gin does. I use to get it at 190 proof. Now by law it has been water down to 151 proof.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Olds, coming from you, I expected something more along the lines of, "I used to <b>make it in my backyard</b> at 190 proof".  [:D]

You can actually still get the 190 proof.  We use it at the winery to clean parts of the bottler.

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Since all Gin smells like a pine forest, it may make for an interesting combo with smoke. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Olds

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Is there a setting on the Procom4 for 190 proof?[;)]

BigSmoker

I normally do the ribs at about 240f.  They take between 6-8 hrs usually.  Anyone that comes to my house to eat knows it will be ready when it's ready and not one moment before that.  I never never try and push a good smoke in unless I have plenty of time.  Every time I've tried it every thing goes wrong.  Good luck and Happy Smokin'.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

eightball

Winery, Winery, Winery HELLO did I hear some one say Winery?????[8][:D][}:)][:D]

psdubl07

Yep, just a part-time gig for the obvious benefits! [8D]

Then there are of course the not-so-obvious benefits....such as the large number of incredibly shall I say, EASY ON THE EYES members of the opposite sex who enjoy wine tasting. [:p]  "Do you think I could come back to the cellar for a barrel sample?"   Well, twist my arm.... [;)]

Here's 6 tons of Cab Franc grapes I was trucking back from Eastern Washington during crush a couple years ago.

Foam Steak

Hey Yall,

I tried NSXBill's method but couldnt wait until 190F. (had to play poker last night)  So anyway I ended up pulling them out at 181F.  They were still spectacular.  My wife was raving about them.  Best ribs I have had in a long time.

psdubl07

Foam, it's funny you mention your wife liking them because my wife used to not even like ribs...until the Bradley.  Now she asks for them! [8D]

Phone Guy

The ribs turned out great. They cooked faster than I thought.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />........  I never never try and push a good smoke.........
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Could of not said it better....

It's kind of like hearing your kids say "are we there yet?"

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

ChefBill

I tried another way to get what I wanted. I used a cheap 100 proof Vodka then added a couple of juniper berries. This gave the mild Gin flavor. Over night in 100 proof under vacuum makes a tender smoked piece of meat. ChefBill

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChefBill</i>
<br />Over night in 100 proof under vacuum makes a tender smoked piece of meat.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Or a great morning pick-me-up![:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?