• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie wants to make Turkey Jerky

Started by iscreamer1, June 21, 2005, 04:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iscreamer1

Hi, just got my Bradley and I can't wait to get goin? Can ya'll please help me with the steps to make turkey jerky. I'll use a breast and slice it thin then I'll marinade it. What comes next? I don't know about temps, times or even how to tell it's done. I sure appreciate any help I can get. After the jerky I'm going to smoke salmon. Anyone ever make salmon jerky?

Thx

Irene

jaeger

<font size="4"><font color="blue"><font face="Verdana">Welcome to the forum Irene.</font id="Verdana"></font id="blue"></font id="size4">

You are absolutely going to love turkey jerky!!!
I usually use a seasoning comparable to High Mountain seasoning. Just follow the amounts of seasoning and cure according to instructions. I  usually cut the breast or turkey tenderloins into more of strips about 1/2 inch thick. I like to marinate/cure these thicker strips for 48 hours. If you use thinner slices, cure for 24 hours.
Preheat your smoker full heat for 1/2 hour while you spray your racks with Pam or something similar. Lay out meat on racks so they don't touch. I usually smoke these for 2 hours with your favorite wood, (I prefer hickory for jerky) damper open 1/4 to allow moisture to escape. At 1 to 1 1/2 hour from the time you start, I would rotate the racks, top to bottom, front to back. At this point I use a remote thermometer on the thickest piece on the top rack.<font color="blue">I only use the thermometer if I am smoking the thicker style.</font id="blue"> Take internal temp to 165 F for turkey. At this point I check everything out and start to remove the pieces that look  like they have the right color/look to them.( By this I mean that I don't take the pieces out if they still look kind of pale even though they are done temp wise.) Condense the pieces that still look pale to a couple of racks and finish. With beef jerky, I usually have everything cooked/smoked within 3 hours. If you are using the <u>thicker</u> pieces, allow 3 1/2 approx.

If you don't have a remote thermometer yet, just go with the thin type jerky, and follow these general times. I usually keep the temp on high as after the first rotation, I rotate about every 1/2 hour. This also helps let the humidity escape and cooks the pieces more evenly.

I hope this helps.[:D][;)][:D]

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

iscreamer1

Hope this helps??!! Fantastic! Your directions are superb and I can't wait to get started. I ordered a few of the HI Mountain seasonings yesterday and I'm hunting for sales on turkey today!
2 questions..if I vacuum pack the jerky do you think I can mail it to Europe and by remote thermometer do you mean the type that you insert a probe in the meat and then hang the readout on the oven door?

Thx again, I'll let you know how it turns out and thx for the welcome.

JJC

Welcome, Irene--no matter what you want to smoke, someone here has a good way to do it (careful, Chez . . . you're not as young as you used to be).  Please share your experiences with us--good or not.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

jaeger

Irene,

No I would not try to mail the jerky overseas. I think you would be taking to big of a risk. The products that you see in stores that is "shelf stable" (not refrigerated), is processed and monitored under specific guidelines and IMO still a risk. With vacuum sealed products, you are creating an enviornment for anaerobic bacteria (bacteria that grows without oxygen ie: botulism for one,very nasty[xx(])
If you are determined, maybe you could freeze some and pack it with ice packs in a foam cooler, and next day air or something. You may get by safely. I don't think you will be able to use dry ice for shipping.

Yes the remote thermometer you asked about should work fine. There are a lot of different types available. One popular, and reasonably priced is the Maverick et73. This one will monitor your cabinet temp and one meat temp.

When you are ready to smoke salmon, check out the recipes  by Bradley owners at :http://www.susanminor.org/

iscreamer1

Thx for the welcome you guys. I'm really looking forward to getting going with this thing. I can't wait to smoke cheese too but living in AZ might mean I have to wait for the winter.

Ok I won't risk sending it overseas. I'll just tell my friend to buy his own Bradley!!

Thx so much for the help. Hopefully someday I'll have some ideas for you!!

Irene

jaeger

Good Luck with the Bradley Irene!
 You are going to love smoked cheese. Here is a picture of the set up that I use. All you need is a cardboard box, aluminum dryer vent hose, a little duct tape. I cut a hole for the smoke generator to fit into the cardboard box and put the water bowl in the box to catch the pucks.  The temp of the cabinet with the cheese only increases 10 degrees maximum with a 2 1/2 hour cold smoke. I don't know how cool it gets at night in AZ but as soon as you have an evening with a 60 degree temp, you should be good to go.

Here is the picture:   http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/xcelsmoke/ColdSmoke.jpg

AZSmoker

Unless she lives in the northern part of AZ, nightime temps won't go down to 60 until sometime in late October or November.

jaeger

I don't think my wife and daughter could wait that long for smoked cheese! One of my daughters favorites is a smoked grilled cheese samich![;)]

HCT

Dumb question. Do you have to freeze the turkey jerky when done?

I Share my life with 6 labradors. Who could ask for more?

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

iscreamer1

thx for the cheese info Doug. I can't wait but as AZsmoker says it will be till well into the fall before we see the 60's again. I'm located in Cave Creek, near Phoenix and the national news making wildfires (we are not in danger). I should get my Hi Mountain stuff tomorrow and then I'll get to work. 1, more question, why breast, would thighs work? I'd think they's give more flavor. Thx

AZsmoker, where are you from?

Irene

jaeger

Irene,
I love that name, the same name as my grandmother.

I think thighs would work fine. The only thing is, you may end up with some smaller pieces on part of the batch. I would maybe try to keep uniform size pieces on each rack that you use so they will be easier to pull out while you are waiting for the larger size pieces to finish.

Let us know how it works out Irene![:D][;)][:D]

P.S. For your first batch, I would tend to go light on the recommended amount of seasoning/cure so that it doesn't get to salty. You will still have good flavor and smoke flavor as well.

jaeger

Mickey,
In regards to your question regarding freezing turkey jerky. A lot of people here use one type or another of vacuum machine. This will increase your "shelf life". The packages that are opened will not last as long as the packages that are still vacuum sealed. It doesn't hurt to freeze a few packages, especially if it is vacuum sealed. There is less chance of freezer burn, though you probably will consume whatever amount you make long before that anyway.
I usually put a couple of packages in the fridge and a few in the freezer.
I can guantee you, you will really enjoy a well made turkey jerky![:p]

iscreamer1

Thx Doug, did you know Irene means peace? I was always proud of that, especially in the 60's and 70's.

Getting my cure/seasonings today...can't wait to get started!!

iscreamer1

OK I did it and it came out fantastic. I cut the pieces about 1/4inch thick because I like it tough and chewy and it cooked in 1 1/2hrs. Is that too quick? My patio gets full late afternoon sun and them temp showed around 210 for most of the time. My only complaint was I would like it have  more of the seasoning flavor but all in all it was great for a first attempt.
Thx for the help
Irene