The addiction grows

Started by babyhewi, August 31, 2010, 03:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babyhewi

Hi everyone- So the pork butt was so good I figures I'd jump to the big league and try a beef brisket last weekend. I'm totally hooked!  However in my haste aka addiction I tried to squeeze a smoke into an already filled couple of days. I made some mistakes and would love feedback. I followed Pachangas rub and then set smoker up for 4 hours with Jim beam. Preheated cabinet and all seemed to b going well. Started smoking at 9:30 pm and was up every two hours or so. Smoke was pouring out but at one point I checked and again found the water pan dry and a puck that didn't advance into pan after burning. So to make a dull story short...it wasn't done when I left for work at 6:30 am (12.5lb) and had a friend FTC it at 9:30 am with IT of 183*. All seemed ok. Well I didn't get home till 4 and didn't take out of cooler til 5:00. The leaner part (flat?) seemed a bit over done and dry but still tasty and nice smoke. I realize I left too much fat on top.  I didn't mop or spritz.  So I kinda figure it was in cooler for too long and maybe need to mop or spritz. Oh yah bark wasn't very crispy. Nice and dark but soft. Thoughts? Comments? 

FLBentRider

The bark is not really going to be all that crispy, at least mine aren't.

It is hard to get the whole brisket to the same IT, the thin end is going to get that way sometimes, I chop it up and add a little sauce to it, makes a great taco.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!