Going to give jerk gun a 1st try, a few ?'s

Started by chiroken, September 02, 2010, 10:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

So I've picked up a Hi Mountain "Jerky Master", 40% off, $25. Comes with a package of Hickory Blend and Mesquite Blend seasoning, each doing 15lbs of meat (instructions say only 10lbs of GB). Figured I'd give it a go. Not sure if I'll use one of the included seasonings or what I've made up in the past. It's all plastic, not sure how durable this'll be? Has a flat (~3/4") and round (~3/8") attachment. I'll use both to test them out. Thinking GB jerky will be cheaper to make, therefore easier to load up in the lunches for my 2 kids for school (next Tuesday....yikes!).

What type of GB to use? It seems there are variations from straight extra lean to mixes. When I see 85/15, what does this represent?

I guess I'll follow the same marinating process as I did for beef strips? Wet marinade in fridge over night? Will this create too much liquid? If I want to sprinkle with ground peppercorns, can I do this right after it's racked or wait until part-way through the smoke?

I assume room T will go through the gun easier? How much GB can I fit into my smoker? I've got 8 racks (4 racks doubled up).

Is there a GB formula for temperature and time? I assume no water, wide open vents?

Lotsa ?'s, gotta get'r right the 1st time!

Thanks

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Tenpoint5

I can answer one of the questions 85/15 is 85% lean meat and 15% fat at least that is what I have always been told
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

chiroken

So that ratio is for people making their own GB? I thought it was a mixture of already made GB's like 85% lean/15% regular or something like that.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

10.5 has you covered. The mixture is already what it shows. I never use ground beef when I do mine, but if I were to use it, I'd probably go with the leanest you can get which is probably a 95/5 or 90/10. Fat isn't a good thing in jerky.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

chiroken

OK, lol...that makes sense. I guess the ratio helps to standardize what makes up lean, extra lean etc. I'll be looking for a sale on lean or preferably extra lean GB. Thanks for clearing that one up.

monty

hey chiroken where did you get the jerky master on sale?

here in Ontario all ground beef is labeled medium ground, lean ground, extra lean ground. does anyone know which of these are equivalent to 85/15, 80/20, etc? i think this is what chiroken is asking.
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

chiroken

Quote from: monty on September 02, 2010, 10:31:45 AM
hey chiroken where did you get the jerky master on sale?

here in Ontario all ground beef is labeled medium ground, lean ground, extra lean ground. does anyone know which of these are equivalent to 85/15, 80/20, etc? i think this is what chiroken is asking.

Zellers, a great place to buy fishing stuff. Often mark down name brand stuff 30-50%. Just got a $55 large extension arm salmon net marked down to $13, then 30% off on top of that! Came to $9. Same thing for camping gear. This gun was in the fishing/camping aisle so was on sale too. Got it a few weeks back. I think the 2 included seasoning sell for $7 each normally.

Yes about the linking of the ratios to lean, extra lean etc.? Don't remember the labels up here giving the ratio.

RAF128

I never use ground beef for jerky.    All my jerky is made from deer meat.   I use the trim from the deer that isn't cut into steaks or roasts.   Mostly from the front shoulder.    I trim all the fat off.   I then grind it myself.   Use the instructions.   They give different amounts of seasonings for ground meat and whole muscle meat.   Measure carefully and you can't go wrong.

NePaSmoKer

Here its labeled like this.

73/27
80/20
85/15
90/10 being extra lean.

Lower # being the fat content.

I have made lots of GB jerky. The 85/15 turns out good. Remember too high of heat will fat the jerky.