How many lbs. GB for 8 racks & freezing cured GB for later....

Started by chiroken, September 04, 2010, 08:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

How many lbs can I get into my DBS when doubling my racks to have 8? I'll be using a gun and using both the flat and round tip to experiment.

I want my DBS full so if I end up with too much cured GB can I just freeze it and add it to the next batch I make down the road?

Thanks
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

beefmann

i have never  used  8 racks , however i have gotten 43 lbs of tri tip in my  4 rack, you  do have to rotate the  racks every couple of  hours  or  risk burning  whats on the bottom rack letting  along  drying it  out

chiroken

43lbs on 4 racks??? That's crazy. Last jerky (whole muscle) I did was 6 lbs and I couldn't get too much more in there.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: chiroken on September 04, 2010, 09:32:13 PM
43lbs on 4 racks??? That's crazy. Last jerky (whole muscle) I did was 6 lbs and I couldn't get too much more in there.

I think he was referring to something different (tri-tips)

Yes you can freeze the cured GB. When ever you decide to

use it thaw it out in the fridge over a cple of days.

chiroken

Thanks Classic. Asked a friend to check GB prices if he ended up in the grocery store to see if there was a sale today...misunderstood me and brought home 8 1/2 lbs lean GB - it was on sale he said and that's what I wanted. Saved me going into town to check I guess, ensures I'm smoking tomorrow so that's a good thing.

Mixed it up with the Hickory HM blend and is in the fridge awaiting tomorrow morning's smoke. Guess I'll find out how much I can get on the 8 racks. The blend is for 10lbs but wasn't going to drive into town just to get 1 1/2 lbs of GB. I guess I'll just mix it up separate on the next go around. Plan on matching hickory bisquettes as it seems to defeat the purpose of using something else.

I think I'll add some ground pepper to some the old fashioned way, by hand (my cordless drill isn't a Dewalt so I guess I can't join the club  ;) ). It'll give me something to compare with. Guess it'll be easiest to sprinkle over the flat pieces rather than the round ones.

Should be good eats tomorrow afternoon if all goes well.