Not impressed with HM Jerky Master gun...

Started by chiroken, September 05, 2010, 12:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

Now that was a lot of work. Probably 1 1/2 hrs to fill 8 racks with 4lbs of GB. Never used a jerky gun before but wasn't impressed with this one. The rod that depresses the "plunger" is not notched like a normal caulking gun so it tends to slip.. A LOT. Forearm is on fire before too long! The solution was to push directly on the end of the rod to force the GB out the other end. Was a lot faster but still took a lot of effort. Guess this counts as one of my workouts this week?!  ;)

Did I miss something here? Any tricks to the trade?

Thought GB would be alot cheaper but turns out lean GB (anyone know the meat/fat ratio in Canada for lean & extra lean?) on sale was $1 cheaper/pound than the good deal I got awhile back on round roast that I jerkied. Saving $1/lb doesn't seem like such a good deal right now!  ;) The left over spiced 4 1/2 lbs was frozen in a single large ziplock about 1 1/2" thick...I'm thinking the next time, if possible, it's going to get cut into slices as it thaws. No gun! Not holding my breath that is works, anyone else have a way to "slice" GB?

I used the flat end (about 3/4" wide) and the round end (about 3/8" across) and split them 50/50. The round worked  much better on the racks as it is thicker so there is less sag. Would have loved to have the smaller grates I've read you all talk about. Is there a Canadian supplier of these to minimize the cross border shipping? (no offence to my US smoking neighbour that retails them, can't remember his name...Nepas perhaps?)

Interested to try the flavour. Used HM Hickory seasoning and the meat smelled great! Used Hickory bisquettes for the 1st time and can't really say I like the smoke. Quite a strong odor, doesn't give me that "Pavlovian" conditioned drool when I smell the Bradley. Still bettin' it's gonna be tasty though...

I'll let you all know how it turns out. Here's a pic of the jerky master, not sure if it'll be just a link or the actual pic.

http://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/image.php?id=66&type=D
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

classicrockgriller

That is the one I have and it sorta is a pain to use.

I got mine almost free on a close out so I can't complain.

chiroken

Well she's all done! Very, very greasy-went thru tons of paper towel to try to get the oil off.
Total of 10 hrs, 1/2 got ground pepper sprinkled on one side once racked. Can't say I'm overly impressed with the flavour, the kids love it (they love anything meat), but I think the hickory smoke is not a flavour for me. Will be great for lunch snacks for the kids. The other 4 lbs will go with another flavour smoke to see how that turns out. But not tomorrow...tomorrow is Sockeye fishing. See if I can find some of those 34 million heading for the Fraser River.

Racked and ready to smoke.

Finished jerky.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Roget

I have a gun marketed by American Harvest.
I used it for the first time today, and it worked great.
It does have a notched plunger.
It has 3 ends. One round and 2 different flats.
I used the flat and the strips came out perfect.
I used 92/8 ground beef and barely had to pat the finished jerky.
I haven't tasted the jerky yet but it smells great.
I smoked it for 1 hour, 40 minutes with maple, then dried it in the dehydrator for another 2 hours.(I only smoked 4 racks)
I didn't take any pictures because I was in a hurry. If I have time tomorrow I will post some pictures of the finished product.
YCDBSOYA

RAF128

I've got a HM jerky gun and have had it for years.   Never had a problem.  Only dislike is refilling it. 
I've tried the round one and didn't care for the product and only use the flat one.
HM has lots of different jerky kits and they're all different.   I like the original or the pepper blend myself.    When I smoke the jerky I usually use maple.   I also use a dehydrator.

chiroken

RAF,

Is your gun the same one as what I gave in the link in my first post? Wonder if I have a dud...just chucked out the box yesterday too...maybe I should contact HM to see what they say.

NePaSmoKer

Nothing wrong with that GB jerky......looks good  ;D

RAF128

Quote from: chiroken on September 06, 2010, 04:23:59 PM
RAF,

Is your gun the same one as what I gave in the link in my first post? Wonder if I have a dud...just chucked out the box yesterday too...maybe I should contact HM to see what they say.

Picture in the link looks just like mine.