cold smoke/ hot smoking

Started by annette b, September 06, 2010, 09:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

annette b

I feel dumb asking but I will anyway. By the way I have the Original B.S.
What cords do you use when you cold smoke and what cords are used to use hot smoke?
Should you always start with 6 bisquettes?
FlyLady

GusRobin

Which cables you use depends on how you hook it up since each item has it own male/female type receptacle. As to the connections to use:

For cold smoke- connect the smoke generator direct to the power outlet. No need to connect to the cabinet since you won't use the heating element.

Hot smoke - you can either connect both the generator and cabinet to their own power outlet; or the power outlet to the generator, the generator to the cabinet.

The only dumb question is the one that you don"t ask. No matter how stupid you may think it is, I can guarantee you that at some time or another one of us asked the same or similar question. So ask away.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ArnieM

First, as Gus said, there's no such thing as a dumb question.  We all had to start somewhere.

Hot smoking uses the normal cabling setup.  For cold smoke, just disconnect the power cord from the smoke generator to the cabinet.

For a colder smoke, the SG is removed from the cabinet so that it doesn't produce any heat in the cabinet.  This is done either by buying Bradley's cold smoke adapter or making your own.

The DIY method uses a cardboard box and a length of 4 inch diameter dryer hose.  Cut a hole on one end of the box for the SG and a 4 inch hole on top for the duct.  Connect the box to the cabinet with the duct.  The water bowl goes into the cardboard box to catch the bisquettes.

Preheat the SG for 10-15 minutes before loading and feeding the bisquettes.

Six bisquettes will get you an hour of smoke.  Adjust as you see fit.  You'll end up with some partially burned.  You can also get some aluminum puck pushers from (Bubba Pucks) from here:  http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smoker-Bisquettes-s/52.htm.  They'll save the partially burned pucks.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

moodyfisherman

"Six bisquettes will get you an hour of smoke.".....ArnieM...don't you mean 2 hours....1 puck every 20 minutes approximately? ???
Is that a bear with MY brisket in his paws?

GusRobin

Without bubba pucks, only the first 3 pucks will burn.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

Here is a picture of my cat catcher....

I mean cold smoker made from a cardboard box.

If you get a liquor box, it is just the right size so when you slide the SG (smoke generator)into it the puck element is right below the hole out the top. The bottom of the box is open so you can just slide the SG back and lift the box to change the water bowl.

I use these gadgets call fishlock collars, if you make the hole real nice they slip into the hole and you don't need to tape it to keep it in place.I slipped mine up from inside the box.

Then in the side of the box just make a square hole that is just big enough so as not to get hot from the burner but not let smoke out around the SG.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.