• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Aged beef

Started by HCT, June 25, 2005, 04:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

Olds, I was reading your post in the recpe forum. I have a question. Can you age an eye round the same way? Is all you do is leave it in the cryovav for that about of time? 30 days. Just let it lay there, nothing more to do.
Thanks

Mickey

I Share my life with 6 labradors. Who could ask for more?

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Oldman

Pretty much that is all there is to it. However, temp is important! Not lower than 34 not higher that 38F

Depending upon which "Guru" you listen to the spred is from 7 to 21 days, or 21 to 30 days. Your target should be 21 days and 36F. The reason that sirloin when over 30 days is I just forgot about it. I have a second refrig.

I have never done an eye before. I've never seen them cryo vac before. Every item I age I require the grade stamp on the outside of the cryo vac. This insures me that the item is in its original package from the processor and not a re-vac job.

Now many times when you get to the upper end of the aging process your bag will begin to fill up with liquid. It is important to understand that the more liquid you have the less favor you will have. The more liquid you have the more tender the meat. So IMO it is a balancing act.

As a side note in dry aging of beef you want the liquid to leave the meat. However, it does through evaporation. Thus the flavor intensifies. When a piece is dry aged the average loss to shrinkage and to trim is about 20% of the original weight.

Years ago when I was dry aging meat we would have at any given time 25 pieces hanging. You have to have your temp, air flow and the relative humidity right on the money. If not you got growth/ spoilage.

Unlike wet aging, you just cannot dry age any cut of meat. It has to have a certain amount of fat; it has to be at least a Choice grade #1 - #2. Something you are only going to find in a better meat market. Never will you find one in a supermarket. Remember back in the 1970's (I think it was then) the rules changed as to what can be call utility, choice, and prime grades of beef. The stuff in the supermarket that is labled choice is really a #1 -#2 utility grade piece of beef.

BTW You cannot wet or dry age a single steak. Never age pork, fish or chicken.

Well I told you more than you asked...but what the heck I got on a roll~~!

BTW when I age a piece I have 3 thermometers in my box. Temp is everything in wet aging. To low and nothing happens. To high and soilage.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

HCT

Thanks Olds, very inspiring. Now I go check the cryovac.

probably the biggest"

MallardWacker

Mickey,

6 LABS, wonderful.  Here is a pic of my Lab Angel.
She is 14 now and doesn't get around very good bud good enough to dig in my wifes flowers.  She has many tumors and still seems to be very happy. BEST lov'n dog this family has ever had.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

HCT

Mallard, the are the best breed around. If I knew how to post some pics, I would.
God bless her at her age. Are they just fatty tumors?

Mickey

probably the biggest"

HCT

Ben

Troubles-lives up to his name. My first

Zorro

Sam

Skeeter

Mickey

Sorry guys, these are the love of my life.[8D]

probably the biggest"

Oldman

Ok so we showing off kids... well for you newbies this is my boy, Skyway,...and he does ever have starch in his shorts!

<b>Christmas 03</b>

<b>04</b>

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Mickey, BEN is a great looking dog,  (accually they all are)nice head shape--I'm not a block head lover at all.  I love whites.  Angel gave us two litters--all were white, not yellow- but white.  Out of about 16 pups only about 4 were Dudlies.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

HCT

Beautiful boy Olds.Love his smile.

Mallard, Dudley's are so great looking. But with a lab, ya love everyone you meet.

Mickey

God bless our wildlife!
probably the biggest"