• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Curing Salt

Started by cc_shad00, September 08, 2010, 05:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc_shad00

Early goose season starts tomorrow. I was thinking of making a batch of jerky with them. Anyone tried making goose jerky? I was told to use a cure for any wild game. Where do you get a curing salt? Thanks

RAF128

I've done goose jerky and it turned out great.    I used a HM kit which includes the cure.     I get my cures from a butcher supply store but not all of them handle it.

cc_shad00

azamuner73

Curing salt is easy to get in the US but it's a whole new ballgame in Canada.  Where do you hail from?

RAF128

I'm in Saskatoon.    There's a small butchershop/ butcher supply store here and he's got just about everything.   Actually he's not really a butcher shop but makes sausage in the back and sell in the store front.

cc_shad00

azamuner73,
I'm from the Mississauga/Toronto area.

Does anyone know where I can get some curing salt in my area?

Habanero Smoker

If you every visit the States, the city of Buffalo, NY has a store (Sauasage Maker) that sell such supplies.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RAF128

Your only other option might be to order on line from Halfords.

unclebuck

RAF, is Atlas Cutlery still open in Saskatoon?  When I lived in Humboldt, I used to get all of my fixin's and other spices from them.  Good prices, and some of the finest spice blends that you could find anywhere.
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

punchlock

cc_shad00  the best place in Ontario is Malabar Spice in Burlington. Only about 40 kilometers from Mississauga. They have great service and a very helpful staff.

http://www.malabarsuperspice.com/s_cures.htm

RAF128

Quote from: unclebuck on September 11, 2010, 02:01:25 PM
RAF, is Atlas Cutlery still open in Saskatoon?  When I lived in Humboldt, I used to get all of my fixin's and other spices from them.  Good prices, and some of the finest spice blends that you could find anywhere.

No they're not here anymore.   Moved to Edmonton I think.

Piker

Atlas and Halfords are one company now with a store in Edmonton and Calgary. Good products good online srevice and shippiong. Piker

chiroken

I believe you can get it at Stuffers.com. And they ship. Not sure if they have stores across Canada or just here in BC. My main local butcher shop uses all of their products.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

pdubbu

I ordered from ATLAS had it delivered to Kingston this summer and they were fantastic.  Once you order from them you'll receive their catalogue in the future which has waaaay more product options than their website.

http://www.atlascutlery.com/catalogue.html

I took a look at the Malabar website and its not very user friendly.