Picked up some inferno High Mountain jerky cure tonight

Started by Chili Head, September 10, 2010, 11:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chili Head

Ohh i bet cherry would be good on that  :D
If you havent tried pecan yet it has a mild smoke flavor, it's becoming my favorite  ;D

chiroken

I think I've tried maple, alder, special blend and hickory. The 1st 3 were excellent, the last just isn't for me.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Seahawk

I recently did 7lbs. of venison using the peppered cure from high mountain jerky cure, and it turned out excellent. I put hickory smoke to it for 1hr.20min and seemed to be just right.                                                 

pikeman_95

I make Jerky in 50# batches and have found that if you get the smoke that you want in the smoker and get the temperature over 155 degrees in the smoker and then finish it in a food dehydrator until it has the consistency of shoe leather when you bend it.  It should not snap but should be stiff. The food dehydrator will draw the moisture out of the jerky slowly so it all stays the same consistency. In the smoker the thin pieces will get over done.We then wrap it with plastic wrap and then tin foil. From there it goes into the freezer. You can eat it 2 years later and you think you just put it away. If you leave too much moisture in it when you freeze it, the moisture expands and the jerky crumbles when it thaws.

You pictures look great.

chiroken

I don't have a dehydrator so the smoker is my only option. As recommened here, I rotate my racks to help even out the drying process. As thinner pieces get done I just pull them out (gotta sample the bunch, right, make sure they're not poisonous? ;) )
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Oysterhog

I tried the inferno, didn't really care for the flavor. I am an extremest for hot, I use Bhut Jolokia an almost all my food. It's the stuff they weaponize (1,001,304 scoville units). I used to use Red Savinia Habanero (520,000+ unites) until I found the Bhut stuff. Yea baby!
I've been using the "Hi-Country" Three Pepper seasoning or garlic, because of my wife. I smoke the jerky for 4 hours with oak and hickory and it takes around 14 hours or more (1/4" slices) removing them as they are done. Most have a bite out of them, for testing purposes of course. I place it all in paper bags for a couple of days then shrink wrap half, eat the other half and refrigerate it all.

Chili Head

I just got done with a two day jerky making marathon ;D Made some more inferno and the HM pepper garlic flavor. With the inferno I had to add an additional table spoon of cayenne for every 4 pounds of meat to get it close to where I like it. I used oak this time for a two hour smoke..turned out good! I put ten ,two pound bags in the freezer and left a couple out to eat now  ;)