Picked up some inferno High Mountain jerky cure tonight

Started by Chili Head, September 10, 2010, 11:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chili Head

Aight..has anyone tried the Inferno yet?  :P
Really.. how hot can this be? Hope I'm not dissapointed!!!  :o . I also got 2 boxes each of the black pepper with garlic and original flavor.
I'll be making jerky round the clock tuesday and wednesday  ;D

The store also had a snack stick making kit from high mountain as well. Has anyone tried this kit yet? I LOVE snack sticks and if I can make my own then even better. Thats about all I eat when out fishing..sticks / jerky and beer  ;D :P

I'll let you know how good the inferno is sometime wednesday  ;D

Chili Head

OK I think I got my game plan worked out for making the jerky but the only thing thats got me confused is storage. Since I'm using a cure vacum packing should do the trick right? How do you all store your jerky?   

classicrockgriller

KyNola .... wind, wind ... reel him in, He's Hooked

Smoke Em' and Post Em' .... We love it all!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Chili Head on September 11, 2010, 12:32:05 AM
OK I think I got my game plan worked out for making the jerky but the only thing thats got me confused is storage. Since I'm using a cure vacum packing should do the trick right? How do you all store your jerky?   

We eat it and then We don't have to worry about storage. ;D

Chili Head

QuoteWe eat it and then We don't have to worry about storage

OK you got me there but If I'm making 30 pounds my colon wont stand up to that kind of torture  :o

classicrockgriller

I have to refer you to nepas or others.

Never made more than got ate in 3 days or so.

NePaSmoKer

Hey Chili

I'm not s fan of HM, But have made mountains of jerky, sticks and sausage. Remember to start low 140* and ramp up not exceeding 180* or your just cooking it. Keep the vent open. Some use water in the pan, i dont when doing jerky, 4-6 pucks unless you like major smoke use more. Jerky is done when you can bend it, If it snaps its over done.

Sticks............A whole nuther animal  ;D

RAF128

I've made the HM snack sticks and they turned out real good.    Just follow the directions and you can't go wrong.   Only problem with their kit is they're too expensive for what you get in the box.    Seasoning, cure and casings.    You still have to provide the meat.   I guess if you never made them before they're good to try.   
When I make sticks now I use a mix I buy from a local butcher shop.   About $6 for a package of spices that makes 25 lbs and they're as good if not better IMO.

FLBentRider

I've used the HM inferno. It's not really that much of an inferno, at least to me.

Now the batch I "kicked up" a bit with some extra cayenne - that got my attention.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Chili Head

I just mixed up some for a three pound batch and had to stick my fingerin to taste it. It wasnt bad..had some heat but not too much where you would have to stop eating it. Might have to kick it up a notch on the next batch. I'll post back in a couple days with pics when the jerky is done  ;)

Chili Head

Got the first batch done tonight and it turned out pretty good  ;D Very happy with it and how it turned out.
It's just a tick over done on some pieces. I would rather have it over done than under done. I smoked it for two hours with hickory and cooked for a total of 6-7 hours at 150-160. I'm going to try smoking for only 1 hour next time and see how much difference there is. The hardest part for me is being able to tell when it's done as apposed to being raw.

TestRocket

chiroken

I'll "designate" a certain amount for ziplock bags to go in the fridge, then vacuum the rest. Otherwise it all gets gobbled up and I don't have time to be doing jerky every weekend.

What did you think of the hickory? I just did hickory ground beef jerky (the HM hickory spice smelled great, the hickory pucks didn't!) and didn't care for the flavour at all.

Looks like you're on the road to having all your friends and neighbours hanging around your house looking for handouts.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Chili Head

I pretty much handed out the entire batch to my friends as taste test dummies  :P
Every one of them loved it and said they wouldn't change a thing!
I personally really liked the hickory and noticed the second day the smoke flavor didn't seem as strong.
At first I thought two hours was too much smoke but it don't seem like it after all. I'm going to try special blend on the next batch to see if anyone can tell a difference. To prepair I mixed all the spice and meat then vacuum packed it for three days before smoking. I'm doing another batch Tuesday and Wednesday and I'll be putting that in the freezer  ;D
i would be hesitant to smoke with hickory while using the hickory spice , I bet the jerky had a really strong hickory flavor.  How many hours did you smoke it for chiroken?

chiroken

I smoked for 2 hours. I of course didn't taste the spice (not too keen on raw GB!) but it smelled good. I think it was the smoke that I didn't like. I have 4 more pounds of spiced GB in the freezer (didn't have enough space for it all). I will smoke with a different flavour next time (still have some cherry from my variety pack, may try that) and I'm hoping it's back to "yummy".
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.