• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

thermometer 2

Started by KurtI, June 26, 2005, 01:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KurtI

I have posted before about the thermometer in the door not being close to the actuall temp in my BS.  Just ruined 3 sides of spare ribs because of it.  I actually boiled some water and checked the door thermometer against 3 other meat thermometers, and they all were within 3 degrees.  But when I smoke meat It appears to be way off.  I put the ribs in at 2PM and did not open the door untill 5pm to check the internal temp, which at that time was over 170.  All the time the door temp was not over 185.  I have just ordered a Maverick et73.  I also see that the door thermometer has a adjusting screw on the back.  Talked to my butcher and he has to adjust his thermometers against the "GOD" thermometer everyday.  He says that his 4 small meat thermometers can vary 10 degerees per day.  I find it hard to believe that Bradley has a problem with the door thermometer since their product seems to be quality driven.  I am going to call bradley on Monday for their opinion,  but fimd it hard to believe with all of the temp problems I have seen on the forum that It is just isolated to me.

Organ donation Saves Lives

Bad Flynch

Depending on how close your elevation is to sea level, you can calibrate it with boiling distilled water. Just a thought.

In addition, I am not certain that the internal heat circulation patterns of the smoker allow the thing to be accurate with all different styles of loading the wire trays. My guess is that it will not always be dead on and perhaps, does not need to be.

B.F.
B.F.

Oldman

KurtI,

I'm real sorry about your meal. There have been many postings concerning that door thermometer. I look at it as just a door decoration. When you tested your thermometers did you do a hot and cold test or just the hot?

Someone just gave me a single probe unit. It has a clip so it can be used to measure the box temp. I may use it next time I smoke.

I have been considering replacing the door thermometer with a vapor tension panel mount thermometer (back flange mount) like this one--except this one in the picture is a front flange mount:

I would mount the probe in the back at the top of the box.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Another problem with the door thermometer (even when it is accurate), is that it is in a fixed location. If the meat on the tray is very close to the end of the door probe, you will get a lower reading then the actual cabinet temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

Hab, that is understatement.  When I want a accurate reading, I cut a potatoe in half...stick the probe through it and then place in the area that I am concerned about.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...